[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Comment on "The Case for Delegating Closed Generics"

trachtenbergm at gtlaw.com trachtenbergm at gtlaw.com
Wed Sep 16 18:35:30 UTC 2020

Alan,

In the section you cited below, the Board directed the GNSO to specifically consider the issue exclusive registry access for generic strings serving a public interest goal.  Which is exactly what we have been doing in the many discussion on the topic of closed generics.  The Board did not direct the GNSO to come to the conclusion that exclusive registry access for generic strings can only exist if it serves a public interest goal.  Rather, the Board directed the GNSO to specifically consider this issue because the GAC advised that generic strings can only exist if they serve a public interest goal.  This is because the Board must consider GAC advice, but not necessarily follow it.  Accordingly, if the WG made a recommendation that closed generics should be allowed without a public interest requirement this would be aligned with the Board's instructions to the GNSO, so long as the issue of whether or not the public interest goal should be required was discussed - which it clearly was (and is).

Best regards,

Marc H. Trachtenberg
Shareholder
Greenberg Traurig, LLP | 77 West Wacker Drive | Suite 3100 | Chicago, IL 60601
Tel 312.456.1020
Mobile 773.677.3305
trac at gtlaw.com<mailto:trac at gtlaw.com> | www.gtlaw.com<http://www.gtlaw.com/>

[Greenberg Traurig]