[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Comment on "The Case for Delegating Closed Generics"

Jeff Neuman jeff at jjnsolutions.com
Wed Sep 16 18:48:13 UTC 2020

Thanks Alan.  I want to draw your attention to the letter that Cheryl and I sent to the Board to clarify this very matter:  https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/langdon-orr-neuman-to-botterman-20aug20-en.pdf

More specifically, the letter states:

"With respect to the issue of "closed generics", the Working Group has been unable to reach agreement on whether closed generics should be allowed, not allowed, or if allowed, under what conditions. We take note of the Board's July 27, 2015 letter to the GNSO where it states:

As a result, the NGPC requests that the GNSO specifically include the issue of exclusive registry access for generic strings serving a public interest goal as part of the policy work it is planning to initiate on subsequent rounds of the New gTLD Program.

The Working Group spent considerable time discussing whether this meant that the ICANN Board resolved that all future closed generics must serve a public interest goal if they were to be allowed, or whether it was just attempting to understand the GNSO's thoughts on closed generics in general. We would like to understand the Board's view on the topic of closed generics as it would help guide our future discussions. The Working Group has also published three recent proposals on the future treatment of Close Generics. Although none of these have been endorsed by the Working Group, we would like to understand whether any of these proposals at a high level are heading in a direction in line with the Board's views.

Hopefully, we will get some clarification from the Board's response to our letter.

[cid:image001.png at 01D68C38.67546650]
Jeffrey J. Neuman
Founder & CEO
JJN Solutions, LLC