[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Notes and Action Items - New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP WG - 17 September at 15:00 UTC

mail@christopherwilkinson.eu CW mail at christopherwilkinson.eu
Thu Sep 17 19:20:25 UTC 2020

Thankyou, Noted.  in general, I think that too much prominence is being give to the ancient EIU guidelines.

Not least because - if I get the discussion that we have just heard - nobody is really supporting those EIU texts.

Furthermore, should ICANN.org decide to call for tenders for that service in the next round (¿?), a competitor to EIU could very well argue, in the light of this report on today's discussion, that EIU had an unfair, incumbent's, advantage; however, disgruntled some of us are about the EIU's stewardship in the 2012 Round.

Just a thought

CW

> [...]
>
>     -- Asked them to resubmit during public comment.
>

>     CPE Guidelines with WG Redlines/Comments: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ih_1NARViJXNNewDg-q87sQzQoC1dCtC/view?usp=sharing https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ih_1NARViJXNNewDg-q87sQzQoC1dCtC/view?usp=sharing
>

>     -- Redline from Anne Aikman-Scalese.
>
>     -- Would need to harmonize against the WG’s recommendation.
>
>     -- Verify that it’s the same language that is in the Draft Final Report.
>

>     Re: "Pre-existing" means that a community has been active as such since before the new gTLD policy recommendations were completed in September 2007.
>

>     -- We would need to develop a recommendation for what we think “Pre-existing” means – some period of time prior to a round opening up.
>
>     -- Do we really want this pre-existing commitment to be so strict?  Are the rest of the guidelines the guardrails about what it means to be a community?
>
>     -- This was designed to prevent gaming.
>
>     -- Don’t know that the reason for this being here is really a reason.
>
>     -- If there is an arbitrary window it should be shorter and with exceptions.
>
>     -- If we keep the statement with any timeline it almost guarantees that the concept of community application applied to a community with a piece of paper with a starting date on it.  It has to be demonstrably a group, but putting a timeline on it means it has to be an officially sanctioned group.  This has to go.
>
>     -- Also, there might be geographic communities, which just established themselves as a result from foundation of new countries. We saw that in eastern europe just a couple of years ago.
>
>     -- Or just say it has to be pre-existing before the opening up of the application window.
>
>     -- Report says there should be a predictable window based on volume or time.
>
>     -- Dropping it entirely is a major change.
>
>     -- It is also part of the scoring “Has the community been active since at least September 2007?”
>
>     -- Keep it but without the requirement for documented proof, but demonstrable.
>
>     -- We could note it for the very particular and strenuous discourse in deciding to drop or not in implementation.
>
>     -- “Pre-existing” should be in the patent/copyright form – that it was around (not documented).
>
>     -- Could be a loose association of people as a community.  Could note that governmental sources of proof are only one method.  Do like the suggestion that it should be by the application date.
>
>     -- I would argue that a good case for a "Well defined and clearly delineated organised community" would be bolstered by as MUCH evidence as possible.
>
>     -- If you use the term “pre-existing” we should be clear that this does not require documented proof.
>
>     -- The easiest thing to do is to just make it that when we say “pre-existing” it needs to have had activities prior to the opening of the application window.
>
>     -- How about "demonstrable and significant activities"?
>
>     -- Or just use the term "established" then burden of proof is influenced by actual evidence
whatever it may be as presented.