[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Comment on "The Case for Delegating Closed Generics"

Alexander Schubert alexander at schubert.berlin
Mon Sep 21 16:56:29 UTC 2020

Marc,

You write:

“Re your example of Saudi Arabia in my mind that would be unfortunate but acceptable as that is the way the system works.  Anyone who wants to pay the application fee can be awarded a TLD and they can either use it or not as they see fit or their means permit.”

And I think the Internet Community should have the right to decide exactly that fundamental question:

“Is the DNS for sale”?
“Is it OK when Saudi Arabia is buying up all Iranian Cityname based gTLDs – just to not use them”?

“Is it OK when one company buys .book – only to never use it?”

My interpretation of the 2007 PDP outcome is, that we precisely wanted to prevent that.

Thanks,

Alexander