[Gnso-newgtld-wg] New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP WG Consensus Call - Closes Friday, 08 January 2021 at 23:59 UTC

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 23:59:44 UTC 2021

I hereby submit my response to the Consensus Call.  I am submitting this in
my personal capacity, and not on behalf of my employer or any ICANN
structure.

Except as noted below, my response is that I support or do not object to
the Recommendations in the Final Report.

   - *Topic 9: Registry Voluntary Commitments / Public Interest
   Commitments;*

I strongly support PICs and RVCs. However, it should be clear that
PICS/RVCs, by definition, DO NOT and CANNOT violate Section 1.1(c) of the
ICANN ByLaws, which reads:

ICANN shall not regulate (i.e., impose rules and restrictions on) services
that use the Internet's unique identifiers or the content that such
services carry or provide, outside the express scope of Section 1.1(a). For
the avoidance of doubt, ICANN does not hold any governmentally authorized
regulatory authority.

Simply put, a PIC/RVC is a mutually agreed term in a contract and thus is
not the *imposition* of a rule or restriction by ICANN.  This was a heavily
discussed provision during the  IANA transition and I participated directly
in those discussions.

If ICANN believes that ICANN cannot agree to a PIC/RVC because it violates
the Bylaws, ICANN should not agree to these PICS//RVCs in the first place.
Once a PIC/RVC is agreed to and in place, registries need to comply and
ICANN needs to enforce it as it would with any other contract term..

   - *Topic 23: Closed Generics;*

*I agree with Justine Chew's statement (on behalf of ALAC) and with  Anne
Aikman Scalese's statement on this Recommendation, which reads as follows:*

 I agree that the WG members did not reach Consensus on this topic.  I
disagree with WG members who maintain that the “status quo” is no
prohibition on Closed Generics.  After the 2012 implementation, applicants
for Closed Generics were permitted to convert to open registries or to
withdraw applications with refunds pursuant to Board Resolution.  I support
the proposal made by Greg Shatan in the December 10, 2020  WG call (at 1
hour 7 minutes into the call) to allow applications for Closed Generics but
to “suspend” such applications subject to further policy work in the
appropriate forum, e.g. EPDP.  In this regard, it would be helpful for the
ICANN Board to specify whether it intends to accept standing GAC Advice to
the effect that a “Closed Generic” should serve a public interest goal.
Such guidance would assist the GNSO Council in constructing a Charter for
an EPDP.  Here it is important to note that a finding that a particular
Closed TLD “serves a public interest goal” does not need to be equal to a
finding that a particular Closed TLD is “in the Global Public Interest”.
The two standards are distinguishable and elements to establish the status
of serving a public interest goal are ascertainable.  Specific questions
for evaluation of this status are suggested beginning on page 104 of the
December 22 version of the Final Report.

It should also be noted that if this Closed Generic topic is not resolved
by adoption of policy prior to the opening of the next application window,
it is certain there will be applications for Closed Generics by applicants
who will be relying on the new policy contained in Implementation Guidance
3.4 that prohibits subsequent applications for the same string if any prior
application for that string remains unresolved. This means that a future
application for a Closed Generic could effectively block a subsequent round
application for an Open Generic TLD for the same string.  Such a result
would violate the Principle of Applicant Freedom of Expression which has
been affirmed by the Working Group as discussed in Topic 10.

   - *Topic 34: Community Applications/CPE;*

*I support this with some reservations. On the one hand, I have some
concerns about gaming and on the other hand, I have some concerns about how
difficult it was for actual bona fide communities to satisfy these
requirements.*

   - *Topic 35: Auctions: Mechanisms of Last Resort / Private Resolution of
   Contention Sets;*

I do not support Recommendation 35.4.

Thanks to all.  Amazing work!

Greg Shatan