[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Phil Buckingham's Consensus Call Response to the Subsequent Procedures PDP Final Report , 22 December 2020

Phil Buckingham phil at dotadvice.co.uk
Sat Jan 9 01:54:15 UTC 2021

Dear Jeff, Cheryl, Steve, Emily, Julie,

Firstly, I would personally like to thank you all for your leadership,
dedication and drive over the past five + years , in this humungous effort ,
to enable us all in reaching this milestone.

Secondly, it's been a real pleasure working with the very best in our
industry.

For clarity, I am responding to the consensus call in my own personal
capacity, drawing on my own personal opinions formulated over the last five
years of attendances.

Like many of you in the core team I was heavily involved on behalf of many
applicants in the processes , procedures and problems of the first Round.

I now have to ask myself , whether these problems, whether policy or
implementation issues have now been addressed and rectified.

I am particularly pleased we have now found a solution(s) to singles and
plurals, COI, financial business models.

Topic 35: Auctions

Recommendation 35.4 ICANN Auction of Last Resort

Like many in the community , I found it extremely unacceptable that over $1
billion profit was made from resolving 234 contention sets,  including
$234,000 for ICANN in its last resort takes all auction in Round 1.

I am now in agreement that  Topic 35 and its recommendations and
implementation guidelines addresses the complex  issues and problems around
contention set resolutions.

However , whilst I agree with the ICANN Auction Last Resort models using the
second price auction method, I cannot see how it would work in the (
unlikely) event of (two or more) Spec 13 closed brands finding themselves in
a contention set

Valuing a TLD at the best of times is extremely difficult , made more so ,
in a sealed bid very early in the application process , without any prior
knowledge of other applicants in a contention set.

Spirt Chartering

Whilst I am in total agreement with all the points raised under Spirt
Chartering , I feel it does not go far enough and doesn't integrate with the
workings of the ICANN.org Round 2 Team. I would most certainly like to serve
on this SPIRT team. If not work full time in the ICANN.org team.

As a Segway , further implementation advice needs to be given, as to the
setting up of a new division, self funded, ring fenced within ICANN.org.
Within that division/ cost centre needs to be the appointment of four key
F/T employees to head up this new BOLD division. They would be collectively
be responsible for the Budget , Operations , Legal and Delegation for the
next Round. My suggestion , recommendation would be they would all have a
permanent seat on the SPIRT team.

I trust this is food for thought as many of us move on to the Operational
and Implementation phase of Round 2.

Best regards,

Phil

Phil Buckingham