[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] Electing a WG chair (or co-chairs)

ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Thu Dec 5 20:41:52 UTC 2013

> Let's be candid.  If you review the list of participants ...

Yes Steve, there is a degree of self-interest and self-selection in the
composition of this, and every other venue arising from an "open" call
for contribution. The alternative is other-selection, exploited at many
points in the corporation's history.

With that observed, a given as the DoC and the Twomey/Dengate-Thrush
CEO/Chair observed in the AoC in their recognition "that there is a group
of participants that engage in ICANN's processes to a greater extent than
Internet users generally", we must attempt to do our collective best.

As we are being candid, I found your handling of an early call to be oddly
directive, and am concerned that an overy directive chair may limit work
in an area that, quite frankely, deserves thoughtful attention. I find the
suggestion that self-interest is so consuming that a chair may not be
found by the usual means overly pessimistic.

I don't know if Don, or anyone, will rescue us from a hazard we may not,
prove to be, captured by -- dysfunctional self-interests, and I'd prefer
to follow the usual, mildly problematic process, and having suffered
through some pretty badly lead pdp-wg(s), in my personal opinion, the
present risk of failure is tolerable, and the process for remediation
accessible.

Eric

P.S. I think I'm disinterested, though others may not share that view, or
worse, may think it self-evident.