[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] MP3 PPSAI WG - Tuesday 02 December 2014 at 1500 UTC

Terri Agnew terri.agnew at icann.org
Tue Dec 2 19:39:01 UTC 2014

Dear All,

Apologies for the audio quality on today’s call. We are still investigating the issue.

Please find the MP3 recording for the Privacy and Proxy Services Accreditation Issues PDP Working group call held on Tuesday 02 December 2014 at 15:00 UTC. at:
 <http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-ppsa-20141202-en.mp3> http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-ppsa-20141202-en.mp3

On page:

 <http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#dec> http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#dec

 <http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/> http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/

Attendees:

Steve Metalitz - IPC

Graeme Bunton – RrSG

Frank Michlick – Individual

Chris Pelling – RrSG

Justin Macy - BC

Susan Kawaguchi – BC

Kristina Rosette – IPC

Val Sherman – IPC

Volker Greimann - RrSG

Theo Geurts - RrSG

Stephanie Perrin - NCSG

James Bladel – RrSG

Tatiana Khramtsova – RrSG

Griffin Barnett – IPC

Darcy Southwell – RrSG

Alex Deacon – IPC

Kathy Kleiman – NCSG

Jim Bikoff – IPC

Paul McGrady – IPC

Osvaldo Novoa – ISPCP

Phil Corwin – BC

Sarah Wyld – RrSG

Todd Williams – IPC

Susan Prosser – RrSG

Keith Kupferschmid – IPC

Vicky Scheckler – IPC

Kiran Malancharuvil – IPC

David Heasley - IPC

Holly Raiche – ALAC

Christian Dawson-ISPCP

Carlton Samuels – ALAC

Michele Neylon – RrSG

Don Blumenthal – RySG

David Cake – NCSG

Luc Seufer – RrSG

Apologies :
Dick Leaning – no soi

Lindsay Hamilton-Reid- RrSG

ICANN staff:

Mary Wong

Amy Bivins

Danielle Andela

Terri Agnew

Mailing list archives:
 <http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg/> http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg/

Wiki page:

 <https://community.icann.org/x/9iCfAg> https://community.icann.org/x/9iCfAg

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Terri Agnew

-------------------------------

 Adobe Connect chat transcript for Tuesday 02 December 2014:

  Terri Agnew:Dear all, welcome to the PPSAI call on the 02 December 2014

  Stephanie Perrin:Wow, I am the first one.  Mark this on the calendar!

  Theo Geurts:we shall remember

  Theo Geurts:good afternoon all.

  Chris Pelling:afternopon all

  Chris Pelling:afternoon *

  Graeme Bunton:Good morning all

  Bladel:Good morning.

  Bladel:Who is "D"?

  Graeme Bunton:someone is a little heavy on the breathing

  D:"D" is Don B. I'll fix in a minute.

  Bladel:Ah, ok. :)

  Graeme Bunton:Sounds ok to me

  Sarah Wyld - Aplus.net:Thanks Terri!

  Kiran Malancharuvil:Its okay to me

  Chris Pelling:its breaking y up here in the uk

  Michele Neylon:I'm hearing stutter on both lines

  Sarah Wyld - Aplus.net:James sounds choppy to me as well.

  Holly Raiche:Yes

  Sarah Wyld - Aplus.net:graeme, sorry.

  Kiran Malancharuvil:You're fine on adobe connect and bad on the audio bridge

  Bladel:James isn't speaking. :)

  Chris Pelling:I rang in and both sound like daleks

  Susan kawaguchi:dialed in and both are choppy

  Alex Deacon:sounds loud and clear on the adobe

  Osvaldo Novoa:Hello all

  Michele Neylon:I'm dialled in nad it's bad

  Michele Neylon:the lady speaking is fine

  Michele Neylon:not sure who that is

  Michele Neylon:Mary maybe?

  Chris Pelling:agree with michele

  Christian Dawson:Agree -  fine on adobe connect and bad on the audio bridge

  Michele Neylon:everyone else sounds terrible

  Mary Wong:@Michele, that's Terri with the soothing clear speaking voice.

  Christian Dawson:Michele is that a value judgment?

  Carlton Samuels:Morning all

  Michele Neylon:Mary - so Terri is a woman?

  Michele Neylon:I didn't know that

  Chris Pelling:don sounds non existant now

  Michele Neylon:and now we have silence

  Chris Pelling:yes terry

  Carlton Samuels:Yes, loud and clear

  Chris Pelling:don is crackling

  Michele Neylon:Don's line is bad

  Alex Deacon:don sounds great on the adobe

  Michele Neylon:Graeme try please

  Kiran Malancharuvil:Don needs to call back into the audio bridge

  Carlton Samuels:I'm hearing Don very clearly!

  Bladel:Graeme is also breaking up., I think.

  Holly Raiche:The rest of us are fine - Don's still fuzzy

  Mary Wong:@Graeme, that seems to be right.

  Kathy:Full House!

  Don Blumenthal:still working on connection

  Bladel:Graeme is also a bit choppy.

  Bladel::)

  Carlton Samuels:Hi Terri, Please record me present and count

  Mary Wong:@Carlton, thank you - we will.

  Michele Neylon:I'm connected via both phone and adobe

  Christian Dawson:Just switched to Adobe only it's much better today

  Terri Agnew:@ Carlton, will do

  Michele Neylon:switched to adobe

  Michele Neylon:audio is clearer

  Holly Raiche:AGree with Michele - the audio on adobe is fine - the dial in is fuzzy

  Chris Pelling:someone now has an echo

  Terri Agnew:apologies everyone for the choppy audio on telephone. We are working on trying to get this to clear up

  Michele Neylon:I've muted my microphone so it's not me

  vicky sheckler:apologies - i need to drop off

  Chris Pelling:I cant hear anything on adoibe :/

  Chris Pelling:so will listen to the crackle and make best do

  Terri Agnew:adobe seems to be the best option at the moment

  Don Blumenthal:I'm back on line.

  Graeme Bunton:Great

  Mary Wong:Please note that the options (still under discussion) have been placed in square brackets in the current text.

  Volker Greimann:apologies, previous meeting was  running into overtime

  Carlton Samuels:Yes we have control

  Holly Raiche:We have control of the screen

  Kathy:We may still be in our turkey-induced coma (for those who celebrated Thanksgiving)

  Stephanie Perrin:Graeme while your technique is excellent, it might be rash to move on to the next item yet...:-)

  Kathy:No, can't hear Steve

  Kathy:yes

  Chris Pelling:I can hear steve

  Carlton Samuels:Yes can hear Steve

  Paul McGrady:Sorry I'm late.

  Michele Neylon:can't hear him

  Michele Neylon:oh I can now

  Chris Pelling:this is very flakey today

  Chris Pelling:I cant hear on adobe connect Steve

  Chris Pelling:but I can on the phjone

  Chris Pelling:Just because there is no response, does not show contact issue

  steve metalitz:Is there objection to "must" in the first paragraph?

  Chris Pelling:thus even if you pay for it, its not to get a guranteed response

  Holly Raiche:Can't hear very well

  Kathy:@Steve, yes.

  Chris Pelling:on 1 Steve it should be stating Electronic

  Kiran Malancharuvil:+1 Steve

  David Cake:so Steve, you are talking about a hard bounce in email, or equivalent?

  steve metalitz:old hand

  Kathy:@All, yes being that "should" should be kept as "should" in the first sentence

  Bladel 2:Thanks for clarifying,.  Can we get some language inserted in to the text somewhere so it is clear?

  Chris Pelling:Kathy is clear

  Holly Raiche:Isn't the problem if the message is sent - and may be received, but is not responded to .  Aside from a hard bounce, could a registrar p/p KNOW the email has or has not been sent

  Mary Wong:All, the WG agreed previously to NOT use language like "hard " or "soft" bounces.

  David Cake:Did we? What language did we agree to use instead?

  Luc Seufer:twerking was porposed if memory serves

  Mary Wong:@David, that is what our notes show. Hence the chairs/staff suggestion in Cat E when it was first circulated, about delivery failure.

  Holly Raiche:It is still hard to hear on a dial out

  Chris Pelling:But not all servers do that

  Carlton Samuels:There are standard repsonses for email! Maybe we should eliminate the ones we don't mean

  Kathy:@Alex, I hate to ask, but couldyou summarize your comments in the Chat?

  Chris Pelling:Not all servers are setup to rspond like that

  Kathy:You are breaking up a bit...

  Philip Corwin:The phone bridge  audio is atrocious. Brittle, crackling, fading in and out with an intermittent echo.

  Michele Neylon:if the wording is broad enough to alllow for the technical realities of some mail servers being  dumb ..

  Kiran Malancharuvil:Not technically difficult from MarkMonitor's perspective

  Kiran Malancharuvil:Agree with Alex's point

  Michele Neylon:Kiran - how many mail users do you host?

  Alex Deacon:@don - agree that should be the focus.

  Terri Agnew:as a reminder, please mute microphone and telephone when not speaking. We are still troubling shooting the audio issue

  Kiran Malancharuvil:Good question, can relay back to Matt Serlin who gave me quick answers rather than detailed analysis.

  Holly Raiche:Isn't the suggestion that if the p/p becomes aware that the message has not been delivered, they MUST use another method of communication

  Michele Neylon:+1 to James

  Carlton Samuels:@Don: Just say that - 'when there is an affirmative notice that an email has not reached the intended address'

  Michele Neylon:we often see issues with mail being sent to Hotmail / Gmail etc.,

  Michele Neylon:and you often don't get back any useful errors

  Holly Raiche:@ Carlton - agree with suggestion

  Susan kawaguchi:only getting every other word that james is saying

  Carlton Samuels:@Michele: Then there is no affirmative notice so we do the next thing after time t; escalate

  Chris Pelling:dropped phone bridge

  Stephanie Perrin:Agree with James.  Elegantly put.

  Bladel 2:Dang.  I even dropped off the phone bridge to fix audio issue.

  Holly Raiche:@ James - could you put something in the chat - you were hard to hear

  Bladel 2::(

  Christian Dawson:It's not you James it's the bridge in general

  steve metalitz:@James  what about Carlton's proposal:  'when there is an affirmative notice that an email has not reached the intended address'?

  Christian Dawson:By the way, +1 to your comments, James

  Bladel 2:The simplest summary:  Reliability of detecting delivery failure breaks down as scale increases.

  val sherman:I think we are talking about situations where the Provider is aware of repeated delivery failures. One other point: since the Customer is required to provide a working email by the terms of service, would it not be in violation of the terms if there is repeated failure of delivery that the Provider is aware of? If so, might an additional option for the Provider be to terminate the service?

  Holly Raiche:What is the conclusion please

  Holly Raiche:@ Val - I was thinking along those lines

  Bladel 2:@Steve:  that works, if we can clarify in the text.

  Stephanie Perrin:James said that costs should follow the benefitting user.

  Kathy:@Mary, I think this is this is the time for some clarification

  Kathy:It seems to be warranted at this point in the discussion...

  Holly Raiche:@ Kathy - agree - could we clarify please

  Mary Wong:The idea for the notification is that it is triggered when the provider "becomes aware".

  Stephanie Perrin:From a consumer protection standpoint, to avoid harrassment, there should be some costs accruing to the party making the allegations of abuse.

  Kathy:@Mary: that seems very loose at this point in time

  Kathy:it is not bounded by time, system response, etc

  Chris Pelling:+1 Stephanie

  steve metalitz:@Don, yes, provider should offer alternative upon request after specified number of hard bounces.

  Kristina Rosette:+1 to Steve

  Bladel 2:It could be offered as a premium service.

  Susan kawaguchi:If the allegations of abuse are found to be accurate would you advocate the registrant then be charged for the communication

  Holly Raiche:@ Steve - isn't he problem that there may not be 'hard' bounces?

  Graeme Bunton:Lots of questiosn to addresss in the above

  Graeme Bunton:Lots of questiosn to addresss in the above\

  steve metalitz:@Don I was responding to the question you posed.....

  Mary Wong:Just for clarity - are we going back to the "hard bounce" language?

  Luc Seufer:do we have a definition for it?

  Stephanie Perrin:If I put someone who is bugging me into my spam filters, do you define that as a hard bounce?  Innocent (read naive) question.

  Carlton Samuels:@Don:  The rule should compel a declared form of communication for the provider.  It is the responsibility of the communicators to keep that communication line open and available.  We should just say if the response is not fortcoming within a certain time then  next step is the defined escalation for communication to be  effected. That then becomes the cost of the beneficial  user, this time the requestor.

  Michele Neylon:Stephanie - your spam filter probably wouldn't bounce

  Chris Pelling:if the bridge worked we might

  Susan kawaguchi:can barely hear anything on audio

  Holly Raiche:@ Stephanie - agree

  Mary Wong:@Luc, that was one of the issues when the language was first discussed, including at the WG F2F in LA.

  Darcy Southwell:The audio is very hard to follow

  Luc Seufer:Or the preferred way of communication of lawyers: sending 20 meg attachements, does this constitute hard bounce?

  Bladel 2:I'm starting to think we abandon this call. :(

  Susan kawaguchi:should we just go to email and forget the call

  Holly Raiche:Actually in most cases

  Kathy:@Susan: impossible tracking problem for registrars. how long would it take until the abuse is proven - and then if it is appealed?

  Chris Pelling:also as Luc pointed out

  Chris Pelling:A lot of mail servers have message limits

  Susan kawaguchi:@Kathy so why punish the requestor only when most requests are very targeted to domain names with bad behavior

  Stephanie Perrin:@Michele, ok so then the message is received but tucked into my spam filters.  What does the upset sender do then and is there any reason why the service provider should pick up the cost of sending by registered mail.

  Susan kawaguchi:dropping off call will follow in chat as I cannot understand anything on audio

  Michele Neylon:Stephanie - if it doesn't bounce then I don't know about it ..

  Luc Seufer:@Mary thanks so we don't

  Terri Agnew:Apologies everyone, we are working with Tech Support but not having much luck to clear up audio

  Stephanie Perrin:@Michele but you will hear from the sender again....at which point you tell them the message was received.  Go away.  Correct?

  Holly Raiche:@ Dave - I think the issue won't go away until it is clear what amounts to a p/p provider becoming aware

  Kathy:@Susan, we were talking earlier (original discussion) about charging a small/reasonable charge to the requestor who wants followup. The analogy was the per-page cost for faxes or copies that law firms charge their clients. That's a charge my clients pay regardless of whether they are ultimately in the right -- or not.

  Kiran Malancharuvil:There is quality discussion happening in the chat, would prefer to move this to email

  Holly Raiche:@Don - look at the chat for discussion

  Michele Neylon:Stephanie - the email has been sent as far as I'm concerned. If you're not getting it due to yuour spam filter I can't know that

  Graeme Bunton:Absolutely, carry on email

  Michele Neylon:So yeah - "go away"

  Christian Dawson:We should also keep in mind that a hard bounce is sometimes a very temporary issue. As a hoster I have 1.4 million domains under my control. My customers go over their disk space or don't pay their bills  aoccasionally and hard bounce for an hour, a day, a week. . They just bounce temporarily in a nonmalicious, unintentional way.

  Michele Neylon:+1 Christian

  Kathy:@Mary and Terri: perhaps a special note to the List that the Chat had a lot of important discussion due to problems with the bridge?

  Alex Deacon:@christian - you are describing a "soft bounce" (i.e. one that may clear up at some point in the future)

  Stephanie Perrin:It would take only five minutes to read the chat into the transcript.

  Holly Raiche:Too hard to hear

  Bladel 2:Thanks, Don and appreciate everyone making the effort.

  Susan kawaguchi:reading it won't help if you can't hear

  Kiran Malancharuvil:We should adjourn so that we don't miss anything

  Frank Michlick:no problems hearing via adobe connecgt

  Frank Michlick:-g

  Holly Raiche:Barely

  Christian Dawson:Just goes to show we definitely need definitions and explanations.

  Kathy:+1 Christian

  steve metalitz:@Stephanie, no it is allocating the cost for failure to give the provider an e-mail address at which you can be reached.

  val sherman:+1 Michele. Yes, Stephanie -- Message received but ignored OR message caught by spam filter is not a delivery failure.  Delivery failure is not the same as failure to respond.

  Holly Raiche:I don't think the issue is cost so much as working through what is meant by becoming aware - once we have done that, then we can talk about cost

  Chris Pelling:totally agree

Holly Raiche:The chat is working well

  Mary Wong:@Holly, yes that was the idea behind this language, particularly following the hard v soft bounce discussion some time ago.

  Chris Pelling:cant hear anything

  Kathy:I thought we had narrowed the "non-response" issues down to technical ones...

  Chris Pelling:Is Steve talking ?

  Stephanie Perrin:Yes Steve is talking

  Kathy:yes Chris

  Holly Raiche:@ Kathy - agree -

  Chris Pelling:ok, well cant hear him here in :(

  Chris Pelling:Im listening to adobe connect only now

  Holly Raiche:Go to Val's earlier comment -

  Christian Dawson:Steve, email is not reliable enough for that to be at all practical.

  Don Blumenthal:Steve is talking. To summarize, hard bounce = bad address. P?P registrant should pay

  Mary Wong:Steve is comng across clearly on the audio bridge, other speakers not so much. Apologies, all - we are having IT look into this. We've never had this problem to Terri's and my knowledge.

  Chris Pelling:ok, sorry, disagree

  Chris Pelling:for so many reasons, but the main one is not all servers are setup to reply with a hard bounce

  Chris Pelling:I can hear Don aok

  Stephanie Perrin:So we need a volunteer to rewrite this so that it is clear, without using the word hard bounce.

  Chris Pelling:But Don we might not get ANY response so as far as we know it has gone

  Chris Pelling:perfect

  Kathy:who is talking?

  Chris Pelling:I think Christina

  Luc Seufer:I think it's Chrisitian

  Holly Raiche:@ Stepanie - and Kathy - we need language to agree with wha are now technical descriptions of the difficulties is KNOWING if he message has reached its desination

  Chris Pelling:Christian *

  Mary Wong:The idea of conditioning provider notification upon a provider actually getting a notice of a bounce was discussed but rejected including for reasons that Christian is describing.

  Don Blumenthal:To my world? Yeah, I can see why ICANN might be seen as being an alien conspiracy.

  Kathy:@Holly, agree

  Chris Pelling:soft is temorary where a server will try every 4 hours, whereas hard bounce is permanent delivery failure

  Kathy:@Christian, I think we should use the technical terminology -- and define it very clearly as well.

  David Cake:That terminology sounds OK.

  Kathy:@Don: "timely, affirmative notice of nondelivery"?

  David Cake:We should not use hard bounce because that is quite specific to email

  Holly Raiche:I like Kathy's suggestion

  Chris Pelling:might be useful for a read : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bounce_message

  Stephanie Perrin:How would one define "permanent Non-delivery"

  Chris Pelling:I cant

  Chris Pelling:cant hear anyone a

  Chris Pelling:Don I could hear

  Don Blumenthal:Timely affirmative notice of permanent nondelivery?

  Frank Michlick:bounces aren't always realtime

  Holly Raiche:Thanks Chris - we may need to  go to that language

  Chris Pelling:define timely

  Frank Michlick:some include temporary and multiple delivery attemptsxz

  Frank Michlick:-xz

  Chris Pelling:Don = loud and clear

  Stephanie Perrin:My question is how does my provider know that non-delivery is permanent?

  Holly Raiche:Maybe we can use the list to define things like bounce and timely

  Luc Seufer:ICANN definition of timely should be funny

  Carlton Samuels:@David: I'm trying to make a distinction between what happens when we know a communication did not reach its destination and when there is no actionable evidence. The first instance is addressed by the language 'when there is an affirmative.....'. With no actionable evidence of delivery, then we might have a provision that says what next.  My what next is that there is a time factor that should be invoked and once that runs out, a definite response required by the provider.  If the customer is AWOL then compel cancellation.

  Chris Pelling:Stephanuie, if your server company set the server up correctly you SHOULD get a response stating that the message had a permanent delivery failure

  Kathy:I just can't see it being a permanent liability for proxy/privacy providers...

  Chris Pelling:but its down to the company that set it up

  Luc Seufer:the launch of the new gTLD program was operated in a timely manner

  Chris Pelling:cant hear anything

  Chris Pelling:Luc - its still going :p

  Chris Pelling:and what are we up to now, a year ? :p

  Don Blumenthal:Luc,  applicants might argue that "timely" point. :)

  Holly Raiche:@ Mary and Don - try to capture the language that is being suggested in the chat

  Chris Pelling:no one talking ?

  Don Blumenthal:Mary is

  Chris Pelling:ok  I can hear Don not Mary

  Chris Pelling::(

  Kathy:Tx Don - great leadership under rought circumstances!

  Kathy:Tx All!

  steve metalitz:thanks Don

  Holly Raiche:Tks