[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] MP3 PPSAI WG - Tuesday 23 December 2014 at 1500 UTC

Nathalie Peregrine nathalie.peregrine at icann.org
Tue Dec 23 17:59:31 UTC 2014

Dear All,

Please find the MP3 recording for the Privacy and Proxy Services Accreditation Issues PDP Working group call held on Tuesday 23 December 2014 at 15:00 UTC. at:
http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-ppsa-2014122<http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-ppsa-20141216-en.mp3>3-en.mp3
On page:
http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#dec

http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/

Attendees:

Frank Michlick – Individual
Justin Macy - BC
Val Sherman – IPC
Theo Geurts - RrSG
Stephanie Perrin - NCSG
James Bladel – RrSG
Griffin Barnett – IPC
Kathy Kleiman – NCSG
Osvaldo Novoa – ISPCP
Phil Corwin – BC
Sarah Wyld – RrSG
Richard Leaning – no SOI
Darcy Southwell – RrSG
Don Blumenthal – RySG
Todd Williams – IPC
David Heasley - IPC
Paul McGrady – IPC
David Hughes - IPC
Carlton Samuels – ALAC
Tatiana Khramtsova  - RrSG
Volker Greimann – RrSG
Chris Pelling - RrSG
John Berryhill – RrSG – not listed as PPSAI WG member

Apologies :
Lindsay Hamilton-Reid- RrSG
Steve Metalitz - IPC
Graeme Bunton – RrSG
Vicky Scheckler – IPC
Holly Raiche – ALAC
Kiran Malancharuvil – IPC
Jim Bikoff - IPC
Marika Konings

ICANN staff:
Mary Wong
Daniela Andela
Nathalie Peregrine

Mailing list archives:
http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg/
Wiki page:
https://community.icann.org/x/9iCfAg

Thank you.
Kind regards,
Nathalie
-------------------------------

 Adobe Connect chat transcript for Tuesday 23 December 2014:

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Welcome to the PPSAI WG Meeting of 23 December 2014
  Val Sherman:Hello All!
  Sarah Wyld - Aplus.net:Good morning!
  Osvaldo Novoa:Hello all, I apologize but today a may have to leave before the end oof the call.
  Mary Wong:No worries, Osvaldo!
  Don Blumenthal:Usual audio problems on this  PC.
  Val Sherman:ditto
  Stephanie Perrin:Wicked echo, Don
  Stephanie Perrin:Better!  thanks
  Osvaldo Novoa:Is OK now
  Nathalie  Peregrine:John Berryhill has joined the call
  Chris Pelling:afternoon all, sorry I am late
  Stephanie Perrin:Sounds like a great idea, customers would then also understand what could happen
  Mary Wong:Thanks, James!
  Paul McGrady:Sorry to be late.
  Nathalie  Peregrine:Paul McGrady has joined the room
  Frank Michlick:Agree, transferring a P&P registration elsewhere is not as trivial as it may sound and may involve a change of registrar.
  Frank Michlick:If P&P were a registry function then it would be a different story, but it isn't and probably shouldn't be.
  Nathalie  Peregrine:Carlton Samuels has joined the room
  Carlton Samuels:Morning all
  Carlton Samuels:We cannot assume that a P/P service provider is a registry
  Carlton Samuels:..let's deconstruct; the one must not be tied to the other.  There must be specific policy guidelines for deaccreditation for whatever reason
  Carlton Samuels:So we explicity state what deaccreditation means in this context, maybe with a listing of actions, without restrictions
  Kathy:sorry, participating from a tough spot.
  Kathy:But are both privacy and choice preserved for Registrants
  Kathy:in the new language?
  Carlton Samuels:@Kathy: Yes, I think it should be
  Richard Leaning:i agree also with Kathy
  Kathy:Great- that's key!
  Mary Wong:@James, no we don't have that explicitly stated at the moemnt; something to include in the final draft Initial Report
  Osvaldo Novoa:Sorry all, I have to leave now.  Best wishes to all in the up coming festivities
  Kathy:There are a lot of privacy/data protection statute issues involved in the escrow of p/p data
  Carlton Samuels:@James: Even with escrow, the registrant must NOT be disadvantaged and should retin the right to choose their provider
  Kathy:I think it is something we should discuss - perhaps with the larger group
  Carlton Samuels:@Kathy: +1. The data protection principles under which the data was originally curated remains with the data. So it cannot go to a regime that is less than what originally obtains
  Carlton Samuels:When I use the term 'regime' I mean both law and practicve
  Carlton Samuels:hardly: U sound far away Steph
  Chris Pelling:I can hear aok
  Chris Pelling:gone all quiet now
  Chris Pelling:WOW
  Chris Pelling:hehe
  Frank Michlick:the whole thing
  Frank Michlick:please
  Kathy:@Stephanie, is this what you are saying: that the commitment of protection by a secondary P/P Provider (who receives the transferred escrowed data) should be similar to the protections of the original P/P Providers?
  Carlton Samuels:@ Kathy: The registrant should have a say; must affirm positively
  Frank Michlick:Thank you
  Stephanie Perrin:No problem!
  Stephanie Perrin:Absolutely agree with James....
  Carlton Samuels:The P/P provision is assumed to be a set of conditions not necessarily related to DP law.  The terms are paramount here for the registrant who signed up
  James Bladel:Volker:  I'm curious do you have issues with Iron Mountain/Data Escrow?  Does IM store your data somewhere in Europe?
  Theo Geurts:i expect issues with Iron Mountain later on when EU privacy laws get tougher
  Carlton Samuels:What we must ensure is that they are not disadvantaged in failure in any way shape or form.  We can frame what should ahppen in that event using a DP-type regime since they exist and I don't like to recreate wheels.
  Carlton Samuels:But the baseline is a set of contracted conditions that must be preserved
  Theo Geurts:but iron mountain is not the only ICANN appointed Escrow service, so i expect we will switch in the future
  Don Blumenthal:Or a Russian entity for Rusian customers because of their new law?
  Stephanie Perrin:This is what binding corporate rules gets around....and those rules could be part of the accreditation requirements which you suggested.
  Volker Greimann:James: That is already the case. Your european customer data _is_ subject to European DP laws
  Carlton Samuels:@Steph: +1
  Volker Greimann:under European law, that is
  Frank Michlick: Happy Holidays!
  Kathy:Happy Holidays, All!
  Paul McGrady:Thanks everyone!  Happy Holidays!
  Carlton Samuels:Thank you Don for piloting
  Frank Michlick:See you in the new year.
  Philip Corwin:Merry everthing!
  Carlton Samuels:Every Good Wish ALL
  Stephanie Perrin:Happy holidays everyone!
  James Bladel:Thanks, Don and the PPSAI Die Hards!  See you in 2015!
  Kathy:Tx Don!
  Darcy Southwell:Happy holidays!
  Theo Geurts:happy holidays everyone