[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] PPSAI Work Plan

Michele Neylon - Blacknight michele at blacknight.com
Wed Feb 5 13:40:33 UTC 2014

We've been discussing this concept in the EWG

Stephanie and Carlton can probably speak to this in greater detail, but the general idea is that such a service does have a valid purpose BUT that it should be carefully controlled to ensure that is not abused / misused.

The main problem is one of technical detail

At the moment a LOT of P/P services are linked closely to registrars, but they're not all owned by registrars or are setup "at arm's length"
A P/P service cannot delete a domain name - it doesn't have  a technical interface into the registry .. only a registrar or registry can

And I suspect that infosec / LEA etc., wouldn't really like the idea of playing whack a mole with bad actors etc., if *any* domain could be deleted based on a complaint ..

It's an interesting yet quite complex issue to address.

Regards

Michele

--
Mr Michele Neylon