[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] definitions of relay, publication, reveal

Mary Wong mary.wong at icann.org
Tue Feb 11 14:30:16 UTC 2014

Ro clarify the meanings of the terms Relay and Reveal, as used in the GNSO's
Terms of Reference for a proposed Privacy & Proxy Relay & Reveal Study
(dating from 2010):

* For many domains, Registered Name Holders can be reached directly at
addresses obtained from WHOIS. However, for Privacy/Proxy-registered
domains, Registered Name Holders or third party licensees cannot be reached
directly via WHOIS- published addresses. Instead, communication relay
requests may be sent to the Privacy/Proxy service provider published in
WHOIS, or attempted using addresses obtained from other sources, websites or
communications associated with the domain.
* For many domains (including those registered via Privacy services), the
Registered Name Holder's identity is published directly in WHOIS. However,
for domains registered via Proxy services, the name of the licensee is not
published in WHOIS; third party licensees can typically only be identified
by asking the Proxy to reveal the licensee's identity, given reasonable
evidence of actionable harm.
FYI these were the definitions we used in for this WG's outreach letters to
the SO/AC/SG/Cs recently.

As some WG members know, the proposed Study was not done; instead, a
Pre-Feasibility Survey for such a study was performed by Interisle
Consulting, whose report in August 2012 has the following usages:
* For Relay Handling - For many domains, Registered Name Holders can be
reached directly at addresses obtained from WHOIS. However, for Privacy- or
Proxy-registered domains, Registered Name Holders or third party licensees
cannot be reached directly via WHOIS-published addresses. Instead,
communication with the Registered Name Holder may be attempted by sending a
request to the Privacy or Proxy service provider published in WHOIS to relay
the message to theRegistered Name Holder or third party licensee.
Communication may also be attempted using addresses obtained from other
sources, websites, or communications associated with the domain.

* For Reveal Handling -  For many domains (including those registered via
Privacy services), the Registered Name Holder¹s identity is published
directly in WHOIS. However, for domains registered via Proxy services, the
name of the licensee is not published in WHOIS; third party licensees can
typically be identified only by asking the Proxy to reveal the licensee¹s
identity.

I hope the above helps clarify the two terms.

Cheers

Email: mary.wong at icann.org

* One World. One Internet. *