[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] definitions of relay, publication, reveal

Holly Raiche h.raiche at internode.on.net
Wed Feb 12 02:39:57 UTC 2014

I agree with Luc and Tim - and some of the other comments on the list.

From memory, the purpose of clause 3.7.7.3 was to say that SOMEONE has to be responsible for a domain name, regardless of whether they are accredited under the Specification (and resultant documentation) or not.  So for Luc, I don't imagine that he will have 'licensed' the domain name for his aunt.  He was simply being a kind nephew - well done.  But if his aunt goes on a hijacking spree, then Luc is in the frame, unless he reveals all of his aunt's contact details and lets the relevant authorities take action against his aunt.

The purpose of the clause at the higher level - to ensure that someone takes responsibility and, if they won't reveal contact details, then they should take the rap and, I think we would argue, stop the use of that domain name by the miscreant.  That does two things - it protects privacy since the party's details don't have to be revealed.  But if they aren't revealed, then they are stopped.

So the big tasks ahead include determining what the specification means by 'accrediting' a p/p service (acknowledging that they may be defined differently, with commensurate requirements), acknowledging that anyone (including those outside of accredited parties) who does let someone else use 'their' name (they being the registered name holder) are nevertheless responsible.

Now to start work on both what is/are a p/p service(s) and what the tests should be for an 'accreditation'.

Holly