[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] Agenda for Tuesday and template for next question

Metalitz, Steven met at msk.com
Mon Feb 24 22:26:15 UTC 2014

Thanks for this material, Mary.

As we prepare to discuss charter question B-1 ("Should ICANN-accredited privacy/proxy service providers be required to label WHOIS entries to clearly show when a registration is made through a privacy/proxy service?"),  I want to harken back to  a comment Michele made on this question last month during the online discussion about grouping:

"That question doesn't make any sense. The proxy / privacy service does not control the format of the whois output. If you want to discuss changes to the whois output then it's a broader discussion as you're talking about adding extra fields and involving both registrars and registries."

Michele is correct, in my view.  It is clear from the template materials assembled by Mary that the Whois Review Team simply identified as an objective "Clearly labeling WHOIS entries to indicate that registrations have been made by a privacy or proxy service," without specifying who would be responsible for doing it.

One way to achieve this objective without broadening the discussion beyond accreditation of p/p services would be to say that an accreditation requirement would be for the services to ensure that the contact information they submit to the registrar, for inclusion in Whois output, clearly reflects the status of the registration as a privacy or proxy registration.  I don't think we would need to be much more detailed than that at this point. It strikes me as an implementation question to decide on the precise words  or symbols that the services might have to include in order to achieve this objective.

Looking forward to our discussion tomorrow.

Steve Metalitz