[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] New draft of question groupings

Metalitz, Steven met at msk.com
Sat Jan 4 02:08:55 UTC 2014

Thanks for circulating this draft, Don,  and I look forward to the discussion on Tuesday.

Re another item on our to-do list:

I don't have any substantive comments on the draft EWG questionnaire to privacy and proxy services, but I remain somewhat puzzled by the plan not to publish (or even to share with this Working Group) the responses made by the services.  For any such service that is offered by an accredited registrar that has signed the 2013 RAA, or by any affiliate of such a registrar, much of the information sought by the questionnaire is already required to be published on the website of either the privacy/proxy service or of the registrar.  This publication requirement covers the "terms and conditions" of these services and a "description of procedures" employed by the service for a number of functions, including receipt of complaints of abuse; relay and reveal policies; conditions for termination of service; and customer support services.  (For ready reference, please see below excerpt from Section 2 of the 2013 RAA Specification on Privacy and Proxy Registrations.)  There is a large degree of overlap between the information required o be published and the information sought to be obtained through the draft EWG questionnaire; indeed, I am hard pressed to identify EWG questions that fall clearly outside the scope of the publication requirement (possibly questions 10 or 12 regarding transfer or suspension of domain names of P/P customers), though of course the questions are more detailed.

In sum,  much of the information about current services that would be most useful to this Working Group should be contained in the material required to be published under the 2013 RAA.  Since, despite the publication requirement, it is not easy to actually find this material (note that it is acceptable to publish it on the website of the service provider, for which there is no listing maintained by ICANN, rather than on the website of the registrar), could we ask staff to ask the accredited registrars that are subject to the 2013 RAA for links to the required publications for the services that are offered in connection with their registrations?   This could produce some data that would be more useful to our working group than the "summary of anonymized, aggregate survey results" that the EWG currently plans to share with us.

Steve Metalitz

2013 RAA Specification on Privacy and Proxy Registrations (excerpt)
Obligations of Registrar. For any Proxy Service or Privacy Service offered by the Registrar or its Affiliates, including any of Registrar's or its Affiliates' P/P services distributed through Resellers, and used in connection with Registered Names Sponsored by the Registrar, the Registrar and its Affiliates must require all P/P Providers to follow the requirements described in this Specification and to abide by the terms and procedures published pursuant to this Specification.
2.1 Disclosure of Service Terms. P/P Provider shall publish the terms and conditions of its service (including pricing), on its website and/or Registrar's website.
2.2 Abuse/Infringement Point of Contact. P/P Provider shall publish a point of contact for third parties wishing to report abuse or infringement of trademarks (or other rights).
2.3 Disclosure of Identity of P/P Provider. P/P Provider shall publish its business contact information on its website and/or Registrar's website.
2.4 Terms of service and description of procedures. The P/P Provider shall publish on its website and/or Registrar's website a copy of the P/P Provider service agreement and description of P/P Provider's procedures for handling the following:
2.4.1 The process or facilities to report abuse of a domain name registration managed by the P/P Provider;
2.4.2 The process or facilities to report infringement of trademarks or other rights of third parties;
2.4.3 The circumstances under which the P/P Provider will relay communications from third parties to the P/P Customer;
2.4.4 The circumstances under which the P/P Provider will terminate service to the P/P Customer;
2.4.5 The circumstances under which the P/P Provider will reveal and/or publish in the Registration Data Service (Whois) or equivalent service the P/P Customer's identity and/or contact data; and
2.4.6 A description of the support services offered by P/P Providers to P/P Customers, and how to access these services.