[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] Further definitions (Re: Follow up actions from the call yesterday)

Mary Wong mary.wong at icann.org
Wed Jan 8 18:14:30 UTC 2014

I omitted the current definitions relating to Privacy & Proxy Services that
are being used in the temporary specification attached to the 2013 RAA:

1.1 "P/P Customer" means, regardless of the terminology used by the P/P
Provider, the licensee, customer, beneficial user, beneficiary, or other
recipient of Privacy Services and Proxy Services.

1.2 "Privacy Service" is a service by which a Registered Name is registered
to its beneficial user as the Registered Name Holder, but for which
alternative, reliable contact information is provided by the P/P Provider
for display of the Registered Name Holder's contact information in the
Registration Data Service (Whois) or equivalent services.

1.3 "Proxy Service" is a service through which a Registered Name Holder
licenses use of a Registered Name to the P/P Customer in order to provide
the P/P Customer use of the domain name, and the Registered Name Holder's
contact information is displayed in the Registration Data Service (Whois) or
equivalent services rather than the P/P Customer's contact information.

1.4 "P/P Provider" or "Service Provider" is the provider of Privacy/Proxy
Services, including Registrar and its Affiliates, as applicable.

This may be a good starting point for the WG when it comes to agreeing on
working definitions for these and other relevant terms.

Thanks and cheers

Email: mary.wong at icann.org

* One World. One Internet. *