[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] SG-C Input Template Redux

Maria Farrell maria.farrell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 14:33:55 UTC 2014

Hi Don,

The use of 'alleged' is common, not to say required in Ireland and, I
believe the UK. I expect it's used in most or all common law jurisdictions
to communicate the fact that the issuance of a procedure is not itself an
indictment, and that even-handedness is an essential given that the
'alleged x, y or z' may well in fact be innocent and the role of the
process in hand is precisely to determine whether or not this is the case.

In this context, I think it's critical that our discussions are fully
cognizant of the fact that accessing whois as a corrective for misdeeds is
a process designed in fact for *alleged* misdeeds. It is all too easy to
slip into a law enforcement frame of mind where the 'alleged perpetrator'
is simply thought of as a perpetrator, and not afforded the presumption of
innocence, even in simple procedural or administrative matters such as
personal data access.

While designing a procedure like this one, we need to be extremely careful
not to slip into lazy assumptions of guilt, just because of the
predominance of voices that naturally assume it.

Maria