[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] Carlton's closing chat question

Bob Bruen bruen at coldrain.net
Mon Jan 20 17:47:57 UTC 2014

On Mon, 20 Jan 2014, Volker Greimann wrote:

Hi Volker,

inline, bob

> Hi Bob,
>>
>> Not sure, what to say here, because I know you know better. Spam email
>> makes up about 75% to 85% of all email traffic. That is a lot more than a
>> few bad apples.
> I am sure you agree with me, that while the volume of spam may be high, this
> is usually sent by a small percentage of registrants. Actually, spammers do
> not even need a domain, they need a botnet.

Actually I do not agree with you. There may be a small number of bad
actors, compared to all registrants, but they register millions of domain
names (yes, I can verify that).

Yes, they use botnets for sending, but they need their own sites for
landing/transaction sites, which are they ones to be shutdown.

> So when looking at all registrants, the number of "bad registrants" is more
> likely to be in the thousands of a percent.

Not if you count the number of domain names.

>> It is also true that abuse reports can be delivered at a 40,000 to 50,000
>> per day level, if ICANN and the Registrars would take them.
>
> If you want to clog up abuse channels with duplicate reports and therefore
> extend reaction times to nearly infinite, then do that. I am sure the real
> criminals will love that.

You know that, for example. KnujOn eliminates all the duplicates. That
40k-50k are real, non-duplicated sites. If your abuse channels are unable
to handle that volume, perhaps you could consider not offering bulk,
automated registrations. I am also sure, that there are places that could
you help with your problem.

> That said, we take and review _all_ complaints we get.
>
>> Verification would make a huge difference and this has been shown on
>> several occasions by KnujOn and others. Currently, many registrations have
>> total nonsense in the fields and do not even meet format requirements (such
>> as email format). These are almost always done by criminals (spammers,
>> etc). The same guys who want p/p.
> Convince me then (but off-list, since verification is not currently what we
> are looking at).
>
> However, please also explain then how verification will not simply lead to an
> increase of identity theft and harassment of innocents who just happen to
> have their private details abused by a criminal in order to have verifyable
> data.

This is merely speculation on your part. The current situation is that
they put nonsense in the registration forms.

>> They register domains in bulk, so looking each one up to get a real set of
>> public data would put a burden on them.
>>
> Not if they automate it. There are enough online databases and if they are
> sophisticated enough to create bbotnets and online storefronts, they will
> most likely also be able to parse a database in their bulk registration
> engines...
>
> Verification to me is a red herring.
>
> Volker
>

>> On Mon, 20 Jan 2014, Volker Greimann wrote:
>>
>>> I do not believe in making all our customers pay more just to exclude a
>>> few bad apples that can also be weeded out by making
>>> an abuse report.
>>>
>>> Verification will also not help against crime, at least not as long as
>>> there are public data register like phone books or
>>> public whois as any criminal can simply duplicate verifyable data.
>>>
>>> Volker
>>>

>>>       Hi James,
>>> =====================================================================
>>>       As Don has just said that this discussion is premature, I will stop
>>> answering these emails, unless something
>>>       happens to change that. If you wish to continue the discussion with
>>> me, please contact me off list.
>>> ==================================================================
>>>
>>>       Please don't be silly. Criminal whatever. And of course they lie.
>>>
>>>       If Registrars actually verified registrations, this would not be an
>>> issue.
>>>
>>>                  --bob
>>>
>>>       On Mon, 20 Jan 2014, James M. Bladel wrote:
>>>
>>>             Criminal individuals, or criminal commercial organizations?
>>>
>>>             And is it your contention that criminals provide valid
>>>             identification/contact details to the P/P service?
>>>
>>>             Thanks‹
>>>
>>>             J.
>>>

>>>             On 1/20/14, 10:20 , "Bob Bruen" <bruen at coldrain.net> wrote:
>>>

>>>                   Hi Tim,
>>>
>>>                   The harm is protecting the identities of criminnals. And
>>> I consider
>>>                   undermining whois a harm, as well
>>>
>>>                                       --bob
>>>

>>>                   On Mon, 20 Jan 2014, Tim Ruiz wrote:
>>>
>>>                         What are the problems commercial entities that use
>>> p/p have caused?
>>>
>>>                               On Jan 20, 2014, at 8:11 AM, "Bob Bruen"
>>> <bruen at coldrain.net>
>>>                               wrote:
>>>

>>>                               Hi Volker,
>>>
>>>                               I was merely responding to Stephanie's
>>> comments about the
>>>                               difficulties, not advocating a position.
>>>
>>>                               However, as you are aware, I do advocate
>>> barring commercial
>>>                               entities
>>>                               from using p/p, because the use has already
>>> caused harm and we
>>>                               should
>>>                               fix that. The providers created the problem
>>> in the first place,
>>>                               so
>>>                               allowing them to continue to control it
>>> simply continues the
>>>                               problem.
>>>
>>>                               The discussion of all this is the point of
> [...]

Dr. Robert Bruen
Cold Rain Labs
http://coldrain.net/bruen
+1.802.579.6288