[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] Recap & Moving Forward

Graeme Bunton gbunton at tucows.com
Tue Nov 4 03:21:01 UTC 2014

For my own benefit I thought it useful to try and capture highlights
from the recent list discussion.  Apologies if I've mis-characterized
any of your arguments.  I was trying to collect and aggregate them for
my own understanding, and perhaps this is also useful for others.

In general, we're still discussing disclosure.  This has created two
related threads of conversation, one around the definition of content,
another for allegations of IP infringement, though they mostly overlap.

Before we get to that, Eric Brunner-Williams, via Michele introduced
some language that I thought was interesting and helpful, at least for
introducing some precision in our discussions.  This was, If I am
understanding correctly, that we can break down some issues into two groups:

String issues: problems directly related to the string of characters
that constitute a domain name
Resolved resource issues: problems related to what a domain name is
pointed at

I think it's worthwhile for us to discuss using those terms going forward.

*Re: Allegations of IP Infringement and Disclosure**& what constitutes
content*
Phil Corwin raised concerns about relaying registrant details upon an
allegation of infringement.  He pointed out that UDRP and URS exist for
string issues, and that complaints are frequently dismissed and reverse
domain hijacking is increasing.   Mandatory disclosure does not, to
Phil, 'facilitate resolution'.    Valeriya was suggesting that having
access to registrant details prior to filing a UDRP may eliminate the
need for the potential UDRP, as it better enables the rights holder to
determine if a UDRP is warranted.

We collectively batted this around for a bit, main points being:

  * the cost of a UDRP may be a useful gate to prevent abuse
  * 'cybersquating' and stockpiling domain names are not necessarily
    examples of bad faith use.
  * Disclosure being helpful for the requestor does not by itself
    justify the disclosure
  * UDRP filings due to the subsequent publishing of details are
    generally worse for the registrant than disclosure
  * Disclosure rather than publish may keep the customer for the provider.

I don't think we resolved much from this discussion, but perhaps it
clarified the positions.

To me, and perhaps someone can clarify, it seems like the request for
disclosure on allegation of infringement is to be used to fill in a
rights holders' information gap.   Shouldn't an IP rights holder know
who they've allowed to use it and for what?  Should we be building this
mechanism, given the potential for abuse and the importance of
protecting registrant privacy?

The separate thread around the definition of content, if i may borrow a
phrase from Steve, generated more heat than light.  It ended up
centering around the issue that most privacy/proxy service providers
reserve the right to unilaterally terminate service to a customer,
without due process, while also insisting that disclosing registrant
details to a 3rd party upon IP infringement allegation was itself
violation of due process. Volker and Frank pointed out that providers
reserve the right to protect themselves, and may not use it lightly.

Which lastly brings us to the discussion on a moderate central course of
action.

James had suggested that we look into the authorization and
identification of 3rd party requestors. It's not a bad idea, though I
suspect easier to implement for larger providers, so it might be worth
hearing an opinion from others.

I'm going to circle back to some of the discussions and proposals that
registrars had worked on privately, and will see if that can be made
ready for prime time. I'd encourage everyone to ponder ways forward on
this issue, as we move on to category G to make a bit of headway before
circling back.

Thanks

Graeme

--