[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] Recap & Moving Forward

Stephanie Perrin stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca
Thu Nov 6 14:37:31 UTC 2014

I agree with David's response.  I would add that the three examples of
non response cited below (refusing to respond to a subpoena, pay my
credit card bill, or respond to an IRS audit) are generally speaking
unlawful (caveat because I am uncertain of specifics of US tax law, and
the credit card bill may be inaccurate, in which case contention is
certainly not unlawful).  As David points out, only the credit card is a
civil matter.  I think we have to be extremely careful in crafting our
recommendations, not to make it "unlawful" to refuse to become engaged
in a conversation with a private actor, simply because they feel a
burning desire to communicate with us. Refusing to respond to a Court
order, duly relayed by the PP provider, would be another matter
entirely. We should not mix apples and oranges.
Stephanie Perrin