[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] MP3 PPSAI WG - Tuesday 11 November 2014 at 1500 UTC

Terri Agnew terri.agnew at icann.org
Tue Nov 11 18:24:26 UTC 2014

Dear All,

Please find the MP3 recording for the Privacy and Proxy Services Accreditation Issues PDP Working group call held on Tuesday 11 November 2014 at 15:00 UTC. at:
http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-ppsa-20141111-en.mp3
On page:
http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#nov

http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/

Attendees:
Steve Metalitz - IPC
Graeme Bunton – RrSG
Frank Michlick – Individual
Don Blumenthal – RySG
David Heasley-IPC
Chris Pelling – RrSG
Justin Macy - BC
Susan Kawaguchi – BC
Kristina Rosette – IPC
Sarah Wyld – RrSG
Val Sherman – IPC
Volker Greimann - RrSG
Holly Raiche – ALAC
Theo Geurts - RrSG
Stephanie Perrin - NCSG
David Cake - NCSG
Susan Prosser – RrSG
Libby Baney – BC
Luc Seufer – RrSG
Michele Neylon – RrSG
James Bladel – RrSG
Keith Kupferschmid-IPC
Christian Dawson-ISPCP
Tatiana Khramtsova – RrSG
Phil Marano – IPC
Griffin Barnett – IPC
Osvaldo Novoa - ISPCP

Apologies :
Darcy Southwell - RrSG
Phil Corwin – BC
Lindsay Hamilton-Reid-RrSG
Kiran Malancharuvil-IPC
Dick Leaning – no soi
Eric Brunner-Williams- Not Applicable

ICANN staff:
Mary Wong
Amy Bivins
Danielle Andela
Terri Agnew

Mailing list archives:
http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg/
Wiki page:
https://community.icann.org/x/9iCfAg

Thank you.
Kind regards,
Terri Agnew
-------------------------------

 Adobe Connect chat transcript for Tuesday 11 November 2014:

    Terri Agnew: Welcome to the PPSAI call  on 11 November 2014

  Theo Geurts:Afternoon all.

  Chris Pelling:Afternoon all

  Graeme Bunton:G'mornin all.

  Frank Michlick:Good morning.

  Val Sherman:Hello all

  Michele Neylon:afternoon

  Terri Agnew:Susan Kawaguchi and Libby Baney have joined

  Terri Agnew:Susan Prosser has joined audio

  Terri Agnew:Stephanie Perrin has joined

  Stephanie:I am sorry I missed Don's comment about the change in process...what was it?

  Michele Neylon:I missed it too

  Osvaldo Novoa:Hello all, sorry I'm late

  Terri Agnew:David Cake has joined

  Holly Raiche:The change was that we will not have a presentation from law enforcement or privacy authorities

  Stephanie:NOt ever?

  Bladel:can't hear don

  Terri Agnew:Kristina Rosette has joined

  Mary Wong:@Stephanie, the idea now given our timeline is to have LEA and DPA input on our prelim recommendations instead of doing a full presentation each.

  Chris Pelling:+1 to James

  Mary Wong:With the Remembrance Day holiday today and the deadlines coming up for us, it did not seem realistic to expect LEA and DPA to have fully digested our work so far in order to have a meaningful session.

  Stephanie:@ Mary, makes sense.

  Stephanie:thanks

  Mary Wong:No problem :) We really would welcome LEA and DPA input, though, so we appreciate the suggestions.

  Luc Seufer:DPA input would have indeed help to deal with the compliance part. I am not sure how to demonstrate compliance in case of a relay without disclosing the registrant details.

  Bladel:Tha'ts a good question.

  Holly Raiche:My guess is the best that can be done is to explain the process without revealing user details

  Chris Pelling:@Luc simply provide the "OK" string of mail delivery

  Chris Pelling:with a time and date stamp

  Mary Wong:@Steve, we'll take your question back to our Compliance colleagues, but my guess is that we won't have reliable or many statistics since there's no real way right now to distinguish a P/P registration from a non-P/P one just from the registration data.

  Stephanie:Does the ok string reveal IP address?

  Chris Pelling:no

  Chris Pelling:^^@ Stephanie

  Chris Pelling:and I would if it were my service, strip out any personal info and provide if required just the ok string, as confirmation with date and time

  steve metalitz:@Mary, "gaining registrars" in this process may have some insights.

  Mary Wong:@Steve, thanks - we'll ask Compliance and the Rr Services team.

  Holly Raiche:@ Stephanie - it probably would in Australlia as well

  Mary Wong:On Steve's point - it may be helpful if Registrar SG members who are in this WG could comment, if they've come across this :)

  Chris Pelling:if I have this wrong Steve, sorry, but, RDE escrow the correct registrant information as per the RDE spec, if a registrar is accredited for both, registrar AND PP provider, then ICANN need only amend the RDE escrow to include a further field for "PP" Y or N.

  Chris Pelling:Now, this means ICANN may or may not want to do that, but, thats the easiest way

  Mary Wong:@Chris, are you suggesting the WG recommend this step?

  Christian Dawson:On a bad Internet connection while traveling and the audio keeps dropping out so I can't follow. Will listen to the recording later - dropping off.

  Chris Pelling:hell no mary - its a thought

  Chris Pelling:thanks for the music ;)

  Mary Wong:OK thanks, just checking!

  Chris Pelling:hehehe

  Chris Pelling:OSprru dpm wjat was tjat

  Chris Pelling:Sorry don what was that ?

  steve metalitz:Proxy and privacy service provider are defined in our terms of reference, the issue iarises when a provider of those services loses accreditation.

  steve metalitz:In the registrar situatoin are registrants guarranteed the same terms of service from the gaining registrar?

  Stephanie:@Don, they may not exist now but they may very soon...

  Don Blumenthal:Stephanie, how much can we guide our work on "maybe?"

  Holly Raiche:The transfer issue was how to maintain the privacy of p/p user details on the transfer process to another p/p provider

  Mary Wong:@Steve, I don't believe so because I don't believe ICANN is in a position to measure/gauge different Registrar ToS.

  Stephanie:I guess that depends, Don, on how seriously you take the EWG report.

  Volker A. Greimann:somebody please pick up that phone

  Don Blumenthal:"take seriously" doesn't equal the likelihood of any recommendaiton being implemented.

  Stephanie:@Mary Very helpful.  I think, with or wihtout the EWG recommendations, we could list potential issues that are not addressed in the current transfer protocol.

  Terri Agnew:Phil Marano has joined

  Holly Raiche:I would have a concern if we leave unresolved issues to an implementation process.  We should be working through the issues here as much as possible.  Policy should not be decided by an implementation group

  Terri Agnew:Griffin Barnett has joined

  Stephanie:I would agree with Holly....we are starting from a tabula rasa here, in that PP services are not subject to rules at the moment.

  Frank Michlick:When a registrar is deaccredited, usually the domains and customers are transferred to registrars that have a similar offering .

  Holly Raiche:@ frank - I think that is what we assumed.  The issue we had is how to preserve he privacy of registrant details in that transfer process

  Frank Michlick:The transfer usually is coordinated by ICANN, the registry whois would not change and the Registrar Data Escrow data would be made available to the registrar who gains the registrar. That data should contain the underlying actual registration data.

  Frank Michlick:unless the issue that Michele is bringing up takes place...

  Graeme Bunton:we've had nasty transfers from de-accreds

  Graeme Bunton:orphaned domains with no identifiable owner

  Stephanie:So what happens to the registrant in that case?

  Michele Neylon:Graeme - we had that issues

  Holly Raiche:And my understanding is that a gaining registrar has to verify registrant details - with implications for privacy?

  steve metalitz:Catch 22 started on west side of Atlantic

  Michele Neylon:Stephanie - you try to help them if they can give you proof

  Michele Neylon:Steve - I know

  Michele Neylon::)

  Bladel:Trouble hearing don agian

  Michele Neylon:fine for me

  Michele Neylon:audio I mean

  Graeme Bunton:ok for me too

  Luc Seufer:fine for me too(but I am young)

  Stephanie:So surely this is an issue that is within our remit.....something in the accreditation/de-accreditation regime has to take care of the needs of the registrant, in the case where they wind up in the hands of an unscrupulous/non-compliant provider

  Michele Neylon:Luc - you just love using that line

  Luc Seufer:until I turn 30

  Michele Neylon:Stephanie which one is the problem? the one that's losing or the one that's gainin? :)

  Michele Neylon:Luc - you're over 30 already

  Holly Raiche:@ stephanie - I think one of the rules will be transfeONLY to an accredited p/p provider??

  Michele Neylon:Steve - yeah - big difference

  Stephanie:@michele, we have to defend users against both, I realize that is probably tough...:-)

  Stephanie:Remembering that we would not be de-accrediting if they weren't accredited in the first place....

  Holly Raiche:@ Stephanie - agreed

  Mary Wong:The four points Steve mentioned have been posted in the right hand side Notes Pod.

  Luc Seufer:To be really effective every registry should impose that the underlying data be escrowed with the RDE. But this would require an amdendment of every RA

  Graeme Bunton:Your domains are safe with us, Stephanie

  Stephanie:I know Graeme..

  Luc Seufer:will it be in the records that Tucows igoing belly up next time Stephanie is going on a world cruise?

  Stephanie:Absolutely!

  Stephanie:@James, agree that this is a difficult matter but there needs to be some kind of escrow/optout for the customer

  Holly Raiche:I think that, becausse notice should be given, registrants could be allowed to make a choice of another p/p provider

  Don Blumenthal:Notice should be given at what point?

  Holly Raiche:@ Don - we were talking about a kind of 3 strickes before you are out -

  Mary Wong:We'll send out some notes after the call.

  Frank Michlick:Thank you all. Ciao.

  Stephanie:Thanks Don!

  Luc Seufer:Merci Don

  Chris Pelling:Thanks all