[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] Compilation of P/P provider responses

Chris Pelling chris at netearth.net
Wed Oct 1 09:28:41 UTC 2014

Hi Val,

Kathy's words were : "I think disclosure to the Complainant and the
Forum would be sufficient to meet the needs of the Complainant, and
provide information that can be used for both the formal dispute and
perhaps an informal resolution." which essentially means (if we are
talking about the National Arbitration Forum) this is filing a UDRP case.

So disclosure is ONLY once UDRP has been filed, because we are required
to provide that information for the UDRP process as the registrar under
the RAA.  Otherwise in all fairness we will have "willy nilly" requests
for information from every tom, dick and harry.

I totally agree with Kathy in that the PP service /should not/ be lifted
until the UDRP decision/finding has been completed - as at that point if
the request has been found "/wanting/" then the customer still has his
privacy intact because the UDRP panel has rejected the claim.

The UDRP process cost is around $1500, I don't know what lawyers charge
on top mind you, but, if I had to protect my IP, $1500 is something
simple to find to protect it.  You have given certainly the view from
the "person trying to get the information" yet totally left out the "I
want my privacy protected".  Let me give you a "way off" example and yes
I know this is way off.

A "person" is being stalked, they move to get away from said stalker,
BUT, their domain is essential to their keeping, the stalker only has to
ask / request the PP service provider for the information - and in your
last paragraph you suggest the information should be simply given over.

I am sorry, but, thats wrong.  It is not an attack on you Val, and we
have to think of the best routes for this.  UDRP means somebody
adjudicates the request - THIS IS FAIR and IMPARTIAL to both parties.
If the PP customer is in the wrong - fine, not only do they lose the
case and the domain - they lose the PP service as the domain is no
longer theirs.

We can all go round and round in circles and be here all year, the IP
guys want the ability to simply ask for information and be given it, let
me put another thought out there :

A lawyer provides his customer a PP service, do you really think that
the lawyer will simply "give up" the customer information if requested?
They may well do, but, I would lean on the side of "No, you cant have it
as it is attorney–client privilege" (I am not a lawyer, so that may be
the wrong term - but you get the idea)

If the lawyer has a court order or subpoena then sure - he/she will
provide that info.  I am suggesting the same, no more, no less.

In the UK, you are innocent until proven guilty, like most places, so,
why should someone's data be revealed unless it has been requested/ruled
by  an authority/judge whatever.  At least with being requested LEGALLY
like that, the data protection act in the UK (where we are) allows us to
provide that information as we have a court order requesting it.

Kind regards,

Chris