[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] Proposed agenda and documents for WG call on 28 October

Valeriya Sherman VSherman at sgbdc.com
Mon Oct 27 20:08:36 UTC 2014

Thanks Mary for distributing these. The draft language on Relay from the October 10th session is a good starting point.

Although we reserve comment on the attached preliminary conclusions for tomorrow's discussion, here are two brief points for consideration:

First, and more generally, occurrences of "should" should be converted to "must" so that they are obligatory (e.g., "A P/P service provider must notify the requestor upon becoming aware that delivery of the original form of electronic communication has failed.)

Second, the second bullet under the Relay category appears to address scenarios where a number of delivery failures occur within a specified time period. A Customer is required by the terms of the Provider/Customer agreement to provide an accurate e-mail address where he/she can be contacted. Certainly we can all agree that the Customer's  failure to do so cannot be attributed to a third-party. The Customer is in the best position to know his or her contact information and to notify the Provider if there were any changes to it. The Customer also is or must be responsible for ensuring that he/she is contactable at the email address he/she provided. So costs to attempt to reach the Customer via a "further form of notice" due to repeated delivery failure should not be attributed to a Requestor, but to the Customer.  The provision should therefore specify that any reasonable fee accrued by the Provider as a result of having to use an alternative method to contact the Customer in the event of a persistent delivery failure is to be borne by the Customer.

Additionally, it is our understanding that a failure of the Customer to provide the Provider an accurate e-mail address would violate the terms of the Provider/Customer agreement, which is a ground for the Provider to terminate the Service. In the alternative to passing the "further form of notice" fee on to the Customer, the Provider could exercise the option to terminate the Service.

Just some initial thoughts. Looking forward to hearing your views.

Best,

Val

Valeriya Sherman
Silverberg, Goldman & Bikoff, L.L.P.