[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] Domains By Proxy - Trademark/Copyright Infringement Policy

Graeme Bunton gbunton at tucows.com
Mon Sep 15 18:35:23 UTC 2014

Our contact privacy service does not contain a specific
trademark/infringement policies like GoDaddy's.  We direct all issues to
our abuse email where our compliance team takes a look.
While we retain the right under our ToS to disable privacy/suspended
registration for illegal or harmful activities, in general we do the
following:

  - If the issue is with content on a website, we generally will provide
an explanation of who we are as a registrar, recommend that they contact
the registrant directly (via our contact privacy site), or that they
contact the host, and provide information on how to do that.  Usually we
will also forward the complaint to the registrant and encourage them to
address the issue.
  - If the issue is with the domain name itself, we will usually respond
with information on the UDRP process.  We will also forward the
complaint to the registrant and encourage them to respond.

"Usually" shows up in the above because we deal with each complaint on a
case by case basis, and there are occasionally unique ones.  That might
be something like an anonymous complaint, or perhaps the domain very
clearly violates our ToS.

To summarize, our approach tends to be that we encourage registrants and
complainants to deal with the issue themselves, while informing
complainants and registrants of their responsibilities and avenues for
recourse.

Graeme
Graeme Bunton
Manager, Management Information Systems