[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] Questions for P/P providers from the WG call earlier today

Graeme Bunton gbunton at tucows.com
Mon Sep 22 20:49:56 UTC 2014

Hi Keith,

We've seen descriptions of their processes from GoDaddy, Tucows and
Endurance.

What I think should be inferred though from our discussions and from
those descriptions is that there are no established standards for
disclosure because they are exceedingly difficult to craft.  In many
respects, standards would make the jobs of our compliance teams
significantly easier. However, in our years of doing business we have
never come to a place where we've found a set of rules that we can apply
to the variety of requests that we get.

This working group is attempting to codify rules (in a relatively short
time frame) that service providers haven't been able to achieve
individually.  This isn't to say we shouldn't try, but it's clearly not
easy.  There are few black and white cases, and unending reams of gray
requests, which is why we've heard so much about providers protecting
their ability to exercise discretion.

As for the below questions:

1. I think I answered this previously in my description of our service.
2. is an idea we had previously considered, 'self-requested take-down'
might be something we offer pending the outcome of this WG
3. We do not have one for private 3rd parties. Excluding LEA and UDRP

4. & 5.  Answers to these require the provider to be using some sort of
ticketing/request system that allows tagging/categorization and
reporting based on outcomes.   Many may not be big enough to have this
sort of system in place, or have systems that don't offer these
features.   This is probably exceedingly difficult information to
capture.

Graeme
Graeme Bunton
Manager, Management Information Systems