[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] PPSAI - Proposed language on attestation

Sherman, Valeriya vsherman at sgrlaw.com
Thu Apr 2 13:53:24 UTC 2015

Dear all:

Following up on our productive discussion earlier this week, we’d like to offer a suggestion to modify the “attestation” provisions (II.A.6.c; II.B.7.d; and II.C.6.c) to require a statement by the requestor specifying his/her authority for making the request, or basis for agency if he or she is not the rights holder. For example: “Where the signatory is not the rights holder, he/she must attest that he/she is an authorized representative of the rights holder, capable and qualified to evaluate and address the matters involved in this request, and having the authority to make the representations and claims on behalf of the rights holder in the request.”

We could even spell out the statement for the signatory to make in conjunction with each request : “I attest that I am the rights holder / authorized representative of the rights holder, capable and qualified to evaluate and address the matters involved in this request, and have the authority to make the representations and claims in this request.”

These statements of authority and agency are to be made in good faith, under the penalty of perjury – just like representations forming the basis for the request and the requestor’s promise to use the data disclosed only for limited enumerated purposes – and the falsity of these statements would be redressable by the method(s) we agree on.

We believe this approach fairly balances the considerations expressed by various WG members and look forward to your thoughts.

Best,
Val

Valeriya  Sherman<http://www.sgrlaw.com/attorneys/profiles/sherman-valeriya/> | Attorney at Law

202-973-2611 phone
202-263-4326 fax
www.sgrlaw.com<http://www.sgrlaw.com>
vsherman at sgrlaw.com<mailto:vsherman at sgrlaw.com>

1055 Thomas Jefferson Street, N.W.
Suite 400
Washington, D.C. 20007

Ms. Sherman's practice is limited to matters before federal courts and before the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
She is not admitted in the District of Columbia.

[cid:image143f58.JPG at 618ca7b2.49807542]<http://www.sgrlaw.com> Smith, Gambrell & Russell, LLP

Confidentiality Notice
This message is being sent by or on behalf of a lawyer. It is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This communication may contain information that is proprietary, privileged or confidential or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you are not the named addressee, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and delete all copies of the message.