[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] PPSAI - Proposed language on attestation

Volker Greimann vgreimann at key-systems.net
Wed Apr 8 14:38:47 UTC 2015

Hi Kiran,

it can be a general PoA but a PoA should be provided.

Every lawyer making a legal request in Germany must, upon request,
provide a copy of his PoA to the requestee. Providing documentary
evidence of your authorization is also just good practice. How else is a
recipient of a complaint to know the agent is properly authorized by the
complainant?

Best,

Volker

Am 08.04.2015 um 16:32 schrieb Kiran Malancharuvil:
> To your first comment, the distinction between a registrar and a requesting party is best dealt with in Todd's email and Steve's.
>
> To your second, we are not going to complete and attach a power of attorney to every request.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kiran
>
> Kiran Malancharuvil
> Internet Policy Counselor
> MarkMonitor
> 415-419-9138 (m)
>
> Sent from my mobile, please excuse any typos.
>
>> On Apr 8, 2015, at 7:24 AM, Volker Greimann <vgreimann at key-systems.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Kiran,
>>
>>> I have no interest in language that inserts itself into the relationship/authority under which we act on behalf of our clients.
>> As a registrar, I know this very feeling very well. But such is life...
>>> Further, I don't understand why it's necessary. The agent binds the trademark owner and consequently the owner liable for any negative consequences of the agents (potentially - very unlikely) abusive request on their behalf. If there is some breakdown of the agency relationship, or its misrepresented, the requestor is liable. Either way there is someone to punish.
>> I think the details can be worked out. Personally, I could live with the complainant including a power of attorney in the complaint attachments which would include the required language.
>>
>> Volker

>>> Kiran Malancharuvil
>>> Internet Policy Counselor
>>> MarkMonitor
>>> 415-419-9138 (m)
>>>
>>> Sent from my mobile, please excuse any typos.
>>>
>>> On Apr 8, 2015, at 7:08 AM, Williams, Todd <Todd.Williams at turner.com<mailto:Todd.Williams at turner.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thank you Volker.  Yes, of course, I agree with all of that.  And if we want to say that dotting the “i”s and crossing the “t”s in this context means including Val’s attestation language – such that a contracted party can ignore a complaint that doesn’t do that – I’m fine with that.
>>>
>>> But I don’t think that’s what we’re talking about.  We’re talking about what form the document that delegates authority from the trademark/copyright owner to third-party agents should take, and who must sign it.  But if the contracted party isn’t going to have to check, verify, or confirm that form (and I don’t think there is any way they can, for the reasons that you and Michele mentioned yesterday), and in fact may never see it, that’s where I get confused.

>>> 202-263-4326 fax