[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] Updated draft Initial Report - timelines

Kathy Kleiman kathy at kathykleiman.com
Mon Apr 27 20:43:36 UTC 2015

Hi All,
Do I understand correctly that we are putting out a 100+ page report on
a complex subject for review by the ICANN Community - and world
community - *before Buenos Aires*??  That seems awfully tight if we want
substantive comments - and the outreach to participate -- that a WG
presentation/discussion in Buenos Aires would encourage (and the web
presence it would create). We (in the WG) have talked about these issues
a lot - but have others outside our WG followed these them with so many
other things in motion?

In the Whois Review Team we heard a lot of complaints from individuals,
organizations, data protection and law enforcement offices that ICANN's
proceeding are difficult to follow and even more difficult to
participate in -- in large part because the rapid comment timeframes are
not conducive to global outreach or the timelines needed to encourage
substantive and thoughtful comments (especially by government entities).
We issued a recommendation that on Whois issues, in particular, we have
to do more...

*WHOIS Review Team Final Report**
*/Recommendation 3 - Outreach//
/ICANN should ensure that WHOIS policy issues are accompanied by
cross-community outreach, including outreach to the communities outside
of ICANN with a specific interest in the issues, and an ongoing program
for consumer awareness.

I think we should allow two months to respond -- at a minimum.
Best,
Kathy