[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] Updated draft Initial Report - timelines

James Gannon james at cyberinvasion.net
Tue Apr 28 09:42:57 UTC 2015

My suggestion would be 60 days.
To give some context to my own request/suggestion, for this specific policy a quick count of people and groups that I have advised to use proxy services to protect their identity and thus I would need to bring them up to speed:

24 Registered charities, 9 countries, 2 don’t speak any English and I would need to organise our trusted translator for both of them. Each of those need between 30-60 minutes as their level of technical expertise varies. So lets call that 18 hours of engagement.

Approximately 55 independent activists, people who are at extremely high risk and need to be fully aware of the potential impact of this on their work. However that number may be 54 as I haven’t heard from a good friend of mine in Kathmandu since the earthquake so maybe I can knock a day off my 60 day request for that? These guys are in over 20 countries, approximately half don’t speak English or French, so again for some I will need a translator to be organised. I would guess about an hour for each of them, so that another 54 hours.

About 5 at risk business here in Ireland, ranging from sexual abuse support groups to womens support groups. As they are local to me I can probably do a group session, another 2 hours.

So that’s 74 hours of engagement directly, add another 16 hours of admin to that to get a round number, 90 hours of engagement. So 2.25 hours a day for 40 days. Working 7 days a week.
All of my at risk support is pro-bono so my day job comes first as I have to support my family and keep a roof over my head. That takes up 10-12 hours of my working weekdays. Throw in some sleep of which I get very little and trying to juggle pro-bono translators, availability of the people in question and you can see that yes 40 days can suddenly start looking quite tight to get feedback from the people who are going to be affected by this.

I 100% understand that people want to get this finished and done with, I’m not disputing that at all, but lets just pause for a moment and realise the amount of work that true outreach is for those of us who are working here probono. Can it be done in 40 days? Yes. If further time is available will I request it? Yes.

The world of ICANN isn’t going to fall apart with an extra 20 days on public comment but allowing the public, and especially those who are going to be directly affected by this policy, to have their say on the draft report is as master card would say ‘priceless’.

I hope that gives you some feeling of the enormity of some of the outreach that will be going on behind the scenes from my side of things, and I’m not the only one facing such a task!

Now that’s enough of a wall of text for today =) Speak to you all on todays call.

-James