[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] Updated document re disclosure standards - some comments and concerns

Kathy Kleiman kathy at kathykleiman.com
Sat Mar 7 14:59:37 UTC 2015

Hi Todd and Val,
Tx you for the discussion! I appreciate it and am glad to know to know
there are ways to address some of the concerns with clarifying language.
Val, thanks in particular for your guidance on wording. All, I will sit
down tomorrow, "track changes" and pen in hand, and edit a version that
hopefully clarifies communications and defaults per our joint
understanding!

Re: Supoenas, the story seems to be a bit more complicated. I've done
some outreach this week to attorneys who spend a lot of time with
copyright identity disclosure supoenas. What they say is that, yes,
courts in the US rapidly issue a "reveal" subpoena, but that is only the
beginning of the story.  The Provider who receives the subpoena notifies
its Customer. The Providers provide time - generally 30 days or more --
for the the Customer to respond. The Customers can then file on their
own behalf in court - a request to quash -- and/or the Provider can file
in court to.

The following quote comes from Mitch Stoltz, Attorney with the
Electronic Frontier Foundation, and he summarizes his thoughts on the
"state of play" of copyright and similar subpoenas:

==>There is an emerging consensus among courts around the U.S. that
merely accusing one who speaks anonymously on the Internet of some
violation of law (be it trademark, libel, or another law) doesn’t strip
the speaker of their right to speak anonymously. The right of free
expression requires a balancing of interests by an impartial judge
before anonymity can be stripped away. Because Internet sites, and their
domain names, are the preeminent medium of free expression in the 21st
century, the ability to register and maintain a domain name anonymously
is an essential part of freedom of expression that must be protected
through a similar balancing of interests and a fair, neutral
decisionmaking process. An accusation that is legally deficient, vague,
pretextual, or harassing should not result in the identification of an
anonymous domain registrant, even if the registrant does not respond.

Best,
Kathy

: