[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] An Edited Version of Draft Disclosure Text

Kathy Kleiman kathy at kathykleiman.com
Mon Mar 16 18:42:23 UTC 2015

All,
The Agenda for our meeting tomorrow appears to set a goal of finishing
our discussion on Category F-- "Conclude discussion of framework for
Category F (see attached document)."  While Staff has done a great job
catching many changes we proposed (tx you!), there are more that have
been proposed and not objected to. There are even more changes and edits
that we have not gotten to as we have not yet moved to all topics,
including Annexes, etc.

Therefore, with respect and concern for the desire to move forward, I
share a version with the changes we have proposed, and a few that we
need to propose:

- Section I.B that Providers be allowed to share information about
Requestors who abuse their system (absent sanctions for abuse, which we
have not yet defined, this is an alternative protection) -- and earlier
proposed.
- Section II.A,B,C that Requestors provide the name, address, telephone
number of the trademark owner as well as his/her/its representative. The
representative (such as an attorney) may or may not be in the same
jurisdiction as the trademark or copyright owner, and we don't want to
track down first the counsel and later the trademark owner. It should
all be in one place... also, if the signatory is not the Trademark
Owner, who are they?  As their statement under Penalty of Perjury is set
out as a protection for the Customer, who they are and under what color
of authority they represent the IP owner is a key piece of information
in this process.
- Section III.A that 15 calendar days for a Customer response. We are
told by groups engaged actively in the reveal process in other areas
that 15 is really the minimum for receiving, researching, contacting
experts, and responding. They actually recommend 30 days...
- Section III.C.3 that Provider may act on this own information and
research in the case Customer does not or is unable to respond (e.g.,
August action and Battered Women's Shelter, Neighborhood Safety Program,
well-known magazine).
- Section III.C.5  that Provider may adopt the standard of obvious
clear-cut infringement absent clear or reasonable defense.
- Section III.D adds "lack of" to the full list of pending proceedings
which, if they are taking place, the Provider may choose not to act
until completed.
- Section III.G is the proposed new section: Nothing in this proposal
shall prohibit a Provider from determining the Customer’s use of the
Service may violate its terms of service and reveal the underlying
information despite the criteria of this proposal not being met.
- ANNEX: Many questions regarding the Annex, including whether an
appeals process has been agreed to? If so, it should be balanced, with
access to both Requestors and Customers, and limited so that Providers
do not have to face an appeal of each and every decision - but only
exceptions or controversies passing a high threshold.  This draft tries
to offer balancing language, but this is an area which we have not
discussed I would ask the Chairs to spend at least one session on it
before we finalize language and send it out for public comment.
Certainly the standard for action in bad faith from the requestor should
be "knowingly false representations to the Provider," not "knowingly
false representations to the Provider with intent to deceive." Providing
"intent to deceive" is an almost impossible standard requiring Providers
and Customers to know what was in the head and heart of the Requestor. A
knowingly false statement to the Provider on the few key pieces of
information a Requestor is asked to provide should be sufficient --
especially in a matter as significant as a Reveal -- and sufficiently
hard for a Provider or Customer to prove...

Everything in "Track Changes." Doc attached.
Best,
Kathy