[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] Accredited proxy providers vs unaccredited proxy providers

Holly Raiche h.raiche at internode.on.net
Mon Nov 16 21:21:00 UTC 2015

Hi Susan

I am coming around to Susan's way of thinking.  Either you are an accredited privacy/proxy service provider or you ARE the registrant and your Whois details are provided to the registrar - and publicly available. Or you can have your details handled by an accredited p/p provider - with the whois information handled according to ICANN rules.

For lawyers - that means that if the Whois information they provide is their own, then they are responsible (and as agents for their clients, they should be anyway), so if their clients misbehave in some way, it is the lawyers who are responsible for that misbehaviour.  (client confidentiality can be a two-edged sword!) Otherwise, as you point out, they can adhere to the requirements of being an accredited proxy service provider to escape ultimate liability for the misbehaviour of their clients.

Otherwise, I share James’ fear of going back to an unregulated market where the miscreants can hide and noone is responsible.

Holly