[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] PP transfer issue

Mary Wong mary.wong at icann.org
Wed Nov 25 19:04:35 UTC 2015

Hello everyone,

Just a quick note for those WG members who may not be familiar with the
IRTP, the changes to IRTP-C, or the implementation discussions ­ it may help
to note the following definition for the IRTP. I believe that James is
referring to the registrar¹s discretion in determining whether the purported
change is or is not typographical in nature (see in particular the words
I¹ve highlighted in bold and italics). This is illustrated by the examples
given:

³Material Change² means a non-typographical correction.  The following will
be considered material changes:
(i)    A change to the Registered Name Holder¹s name or organization that
does not appear to be a merely a typographical correction;
(ii)    Any change to the Registered Name Holder¹s name or organization that
is accompanied by a change of address or phone number;
(iii)    Any change to the Registered Name Holder¹s email address.

The point about having discretion on this matter can be significant because,
under the Policy, a Material Change to a registrant¹s name, organizational
address or email address will be considered a Change of Registrant and thus
trigger the 60-day lock. Hence, disabling/removal of a proxy service would
trigger a lock ­ although the current Policy contemplates another possible
instance of registrar discretion in such instances, i.e. a registrar has the
discretion (³may²) to permit the Registered Name Holder to opt out of the
lock prior to the Change of Registrant request.

I¹m far from an expert on the IRTP, but hopefully the above helps to explain
the current proposed recommendation in the Final Report where, in referring
to IRTP-C, the WG is recommending that - in relation to de-accreditation -
"where a Change of Registrant (as defined under the IRTP) takes place during
the process of de-accreditation of a proxy service provider, a registrar
should lift the mandatory 60-day lock at the express request of the
beneficial user, provided the registrar has also been notified of the
de­accreditation of the proxy service provider².

Thanks and cheers

Email: mary.wong at icann.org