[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] Proposed draft language to update Section 1.3.3 of the WG Initial Report

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 16:06:26 UTC 2015

Here's a perfect example of tautology "In other words, it is difficult to
assume that the many commenters who answered (in effect) that registrations
used to engage in “commercial activities” or to carry out “online financial
transactions” should continue to be allowed to use P/P services would
necessarily have answered the question the same way with regard to all
conceivable definitions of these terms."

Say it ain't so! So let me get this straight. We think commenters in this
context don't know what they mean by 'commercial activities' simply because
one or other of us might not share their definition of what constitutes a
'commercial activity'? As to the WG discussions, what I recall is an
explicit rejection of restrictions based on someone's estimation of the
meaning of 'commercial activity' because it was considered a sliding scale
which would be difficult to locate without inherent discrimination of
minority groups.

The At-Large position is that we should not restrict usage of the p/p
service so long as the policing of the terms of service - and especially
how violations are handled - apply across the board and equally to all.

I object on principle to all attempts at a priori discrimination and via
definition. In my part of the world, we are always wary of
definitional-based restrictions because some fellow will always say its
benign until such time.

We always keep top of mind the question 'when is a human being not a human
being'? And we remember the answer by supposedly reasonable men: 'when
they're only 2/3rd of a human being'!

-Carlton Samuels

Carlton A Samuels
Mobile: 876-818-1799