[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] Notes and Updates from WG call today - please send comments to this mailing list

Mary Wong mary.wong at icann.org
Tue Sep 29 16:32:17 UTC 2015

Dear WG members,

Please find below a brief report from the co-conveners of Sub Team 4 (since
we did not get to that agenda item today) as well as a list of notes, action
items and specific discussion points that were either made on the WG call
earlier today or that we did not manage to get to. It will be greatly
appreciated if you can send your thoughts and comments on any of the points
below to this mailing list as soon as you can. Staff will endeavor to update
and circulate a new version of Annex E by the end of this week. Thank you!

(A) Report from Sub Team 4:

The Subteam met on Friday as planned and discussed next steps.

2.       We received the last of the reviewed comment summaries yesterday
and are incorporating them into the list.  We will recirculate the updated
template list shortly.

3.       Once the final list is circulated, there will be a final chance for
the WG to indicate that particular comments have already been addressed by
other Subteams.

4.       We have a good second draft of our summary complete and we continue
our work on refining it.  We expect to have our summary for the WG meeting
next Tuesday.

(B) Notes, Action Items and Additional Discussion Points on Annex E:

Proposed Text Changes:
* Section I.B(iii) - On the question of whether providers can charge a
nominal cost-recovery fee: the word ³standardized² will be deleted.
* Section II.A(6)(b)(ii): On the reasons for requesters to use and retain
information: either rephrase (i) and (ii) to be less ³legalistic² and
self-referencing (to clarify what the objectives are), or delete (ii)
entirely
* Section III.B ­ On the topic of ³secure communication channels²: concern
about too-narrow a definition of ³secure², so either a workable definition
is developed (James Gannon to provide a first draft) or (preferably in the
view of some WG members) this be rephrased as a best practice
Additional Discussion Items:
* Section III.C(v) and (vi) - Any overlap that would merit merging, or keep
³as is²?
* Annex 1 ­ Both options have been retained; are there further
comments/suggestions regarding this?
* GENERALLY ­ Do the Annex E framework requirements demonstrate ³verifiable
evidence² that can justify disclosure?
* Section I.D and GENERALLY ­ Do the Respect our Privacy and Save Domain
Privacy comments require re-examining a provider¹s flexibility to publish
details or terminate for breach of terms of service? (Staff Note: this seems
currently consistent with the WG¹s approach on other Preliminary
Recommendations about what a provider must include in its terms of service,
and what it must publish about those terms ­ e.g. Preliminary
Recommendations #6, #7, #8, #9)
* Section III.D and GENERALLY ­ Does the overall discussion about many
commenters¹ belief that a court order should be obtained require the WG to
re-examine its recommendation that ³disclosure cannot be refused solely for
lack of Š. A court order²?
Further Staff Note:
* Section III.C(iv) - On whether it should be optional or mandatory for
providers to offer the ability for a customer to give up its domain name
registration in lieu of disclosure, please note that in another Preliminary
Recommendation (#8) the WG does not recommend this as a mandatory
requirement; the wording of Preliminary Recommendation #8 contemplates that
some providers will while others will not offer this option.

Cheers

Email: mary.wong at icann.org