[Gnso-rds-pdp-1] Drafting Team 2

James Galvin jgalvin at afilias.info
Fri Nov 17 15:04:54 UTC 2017

On 15 Nov 2017, at 1:02, Greg Aaron wrote:

> I will not be able to attend a drafting team call tomorrow.
>
> The below definitions from Susan are problematic.
>
> This new Technical Resolution definition is actually very narrow and
> excludes the examples we have been talking about.  For example, if
> your hosting has been compromised and is serving malware, or your
> website is broken, neither of those is technically “related to the
> DNS”, i.e. resolution services.   Yes stuff is being served over the
> DNS, but it’s not at root a ‘DNS problem’.  So the current
> language could be misconstrued to cover an extremely limited set of
> circumstances, and that’s not what we meant to do.
> I propose instead: "Information collected to enable contact of the
> relevant contacts to facilitate tracing, identification, and
> resolution of incidents related to services associated with the domain
> name.”

I agree with this change.

> I also don’t find this qualification workable or necessary, and
> suggest it be scrapped: “Use of such data should ordinarily be
> limited to those who are affected by such issues, or by those persons
> who are tasked (directly or indirectly) with the resolution of such
> matters on their behalf."
> That gets us back into some of the chicken-or-egg access conversations
> that have taken place in the WG.  Should the data be accessible to
> (”limited to”) only those who can prove they need it?  But how do
> you know you need it before the problem presents itself?   And if you
> find you are affected and need the info, how are you then going to go
> about being authorized to see it?   It’s not like one knows ahead of
> time that a site will serve malware at you.  Or in a parallel case, if
> someone will cybersquat on your new company name.  Consumers sometimes
> want to look up domain ownership – but would we require them to get
> authorized to do so, either pre-need or at the time of need?

I’m less inclined to agree with this change.

I am always challenged by the idea that we need to provide a solution
for the average Internet user.  I frankly just don’t believe that on
average they will ever do the things we like to believe they will.

If the average user has trouble I’m more inclined to believe they are
going to seek help, and I’m more inclined to believe that help will
have the resources necessary to help them.

I would prefer to keep the words as presented by Susan.

Jim