[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Next week's meeting

Holly Raiche h.raiche at internode.on.net
Mon Apr 25 06:40:04 UTC 2016

Hi Greg

Thanks

Holly

On 25 Apr 2016, at 2:38 am, Greg Aaron <gca at icginc.com> wrote:

> Dear Holly:
>
> As a co-author of SAC054, I note the following.  You said that SAC054 identifies “not only the data elements collected, but the purpose for which they are collected, and identify whether the collection is optional or mandatory.”
>
> 1. SAC054 does not list all of the data elements that are collected.  It lists what is usually displayed in gTLD WHOIS.  Registrars collect some data that is not displayed in WHOIS, and that data is not listed in SAC054.  For example: account holder data (which may be different from Registrant data), and the IP addresses of these making domain transactions.
I”m sure you are right - this is the list that Jim Galvin and others came up with - anything you can add will really help us all - so please, add to the list.

> 2.  SAC054 does not list all the purposes for which data is collected.  SAC054 focuses narrowly on data elements used to manage the domain lifecycle and operations.  In other words, some operational purposes, and there may be other purposes.
True enough - if there are other data elements that are not included, then obviously, not all the purposes are listed as well.  What it does do is break down the data elements into why the elements are collected to carry on functions as registry/registrar.  What data protection laws ask is that when data is collected, only that data that is necessary to carry out the functions of registrar/registry be collected. So if there are other purposes, then we need to know them - and they must be related to the functions of registry/registrar.  So again - please, what are the other purposes you are talking about

> 3.  SAC054 does not identify whether the collection of a given piece of data is optional or mandatory.
>                SAC054 says: "This document contains an enumeration of commonly used data elements. It is not a list or recommendation of which elements are or should be mandatory versus optional.  Some technical specifications (notably the Extensible Provisioning Protocol (EPP) RFCs) denote certain data elements as mandatory to collect, and ICANN gTLD contracts make certain fields mandatory to display in directory services.”
In my email,.I listed two documents: the SAC054 and the EWG Report - it is the latter that has the chart for mandatory/optional.  But again, any information you can add would be very useful

So please - any additional information you can add will assist the work on this group