[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] RDS PDP WG Leadership

Stephanie Perrin stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca
Wed Jan 27 16:15:21 UTC 2016

AS someone who is a relative newcomer to ICANN (February 2013) who has
participated in quite a few working groups and the EWG, I would like to
add that it takes quite a while to understand the community, the
processes, and the history at ICANN.  I arrived as an "independent
expert" with quite a bit of experience in chairing various
multi-stakeholder activities, but I would in all humility suggest that
chairing or co-chairing an initiative such as this requires a set of
skills best gained through experience with ICANN and its processes.  Yes
we need particular expertise, and that is why the call for participation
has been so broad.
When I use the word independent, I mean that I have no client that is
paying me to participate, nor an employer that has an interest in my
participation.  I think it might be useful in this regard if persons who
use that word explain what they mean by it, because it is not clear to
me that we have a common understanding of our usage of the term.  I also
note that some individuals have identified as non-commercial in their
SOIs, and may not be aware that we have a group called the NCUC
(Non-commercial users constituency) and if they are not members, they
might want to use another term.  Please refer to our website
www.ncuc.org.  We also have a stakeholder group called the NCSG, or
non-commercial stakeholder group, same applies.
Kind regards
Stephanie Perrin