[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Call for volunteers - Next-Generation RDS WG Leadership

karnika karnika at sethassociates.com
Sat Jan 30 13:58:04 UTC 2016

Dear Marika and all Members of this WG,

I would also like to volunteer for a leadership role for this PGP Working
Group .   I have kept my answers brief but will be happy to elaborate any of
the  answers below-

1)      Existing Stakeholder Group affiliations (if any)

I am Legal Advisor to the National Internet Exchange of India and Office of
Comptroller of Certifying Authorities in India. However, I am participating
in this PGP in solely in my Individual capacity  in order to contribute all
I can to this important PGP.I am enrolled as an Advocate with Bar council of
Delhi since 2000 and am Member of the  Supreme Court of India  Bar
Association and manage a Delhi based  law firm , Seth Associates.  I
recently established  a Not for Profit venture for cyberawareness ,
www.firengo.com <http://www.firengo.com> . I have a degree in Masters in Law
from the King's college in U.K and had graduated in law (LL.B) from Delhi
University in 2000.

2)      Relevant past PDP(s) or WG(s) in which you participated

I have participated in many WGs at National Internet Exchange of
India(NIXI). I was appointed as Legal expert in the  Committee that
considered ICANN's proposal to introduce new  domain name strings with
possible Indian connection and response was prepared by the Committee to the
ICANN's Proposal in 2013.I also acted as Legal Expert Member in Committee
constituted by NIXI to  introduce .bharat domain in India in 2015. Further,
I scrutinized all applications as legal expert in Committee constituted by
NIXI to introduce domain names in Regional languages of India in 2014-15. I
co-opted to the Official Consultation Group for developing Social Media
related laws in India under guidance of the Ministry for Information
Technology. I was also Member of the Expert consultation Group constituted
by the Kerela State Commission for Protection of Child Rights to strengthen
online child protection laws in India.

3)      Leadership experience

Apart from participating as Legal Expert in above mentioned Committees, I
also handle litigation matters pertaining to domain name disputes and
cybercrime before the Supreme Court of India and Delhi High Court.   I have
been fortunate to gain from experience of drafting the comprehensive
e-filing process to file  litigation matters before the Supreme Court of
India. I was also consulted by the Lok Sabha, ( the Indian Parliament) to
prepare a white paper with my recommendations to make new Privacy law in
India.

Besides active Cyberlaws practice ( both contentious and non contentious) ,
and managing my law firm , Seth Associates, I have been Visiting faculty on
Cyberlaws to the National Judicial Academy, National Police Academy,
National Investigation Authority and , Central Bureau of Investigations and
reputed  institutions such as Indian Law Institute and Indian Institute of
Management .  Such interaction with different stakeholders, government
bodies/ private businesses/educational institutions/ corporate houses ,
foreign delegations and Professional Associations has  given me a rich
experience of analyzing loopholes in cyber law and legislative and
enforcement challenges too. From time to time, I have volunteered and
submitted comprehensive recommendations to strengthen cyber laws, not just
at national level  but from a  global standpoint.

I am pleased to intimate that I received the Digital Empowerment Award for
the year 2015 from Government of India and Broadband India Forum. Also, I
received the Law Day Award from the Chief Justice of India for authoring the
book titled 'Protection of children on Internet
<http://www.sethassociates.com/the-book-protection-of-children-on-internet>
' in 2015 and book titled 'Computers, Internet
<http://lexisnexis.in/computers-internet-and-new-technology-laws-2013.htm> &
New Technology Laws' (lexis nexis publication) in 2012. Being an Author, I
am quite comfortable researching and reading long documentation/ebooks and
other materials and able to analyse issues minutely and prepare lengthy
documents in a structured manner.

4)      Perspective on the WHOIS issues and RDS

I am quite familiar with legal challenges to creating a WHO is policy
framework and have legal knowledge pertaining to Privacy, data protection,
Jurisdiction ,Intellectual Property and related issues .

5)      Ability to devote sufficient time

I believe I can devote the time that will be required in this process in all
three stages .

 6)      Preference for chair/co-chair or vice-chair position, if any.

I would prefer Chair but will be pleased  to serve in whatever capacity
Group thinks I can serve best.

With Regards,

Karnika Seth

Attorney at law & Founding Partner