[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] possible requirements from GAC / law enforcement recommended documents

Rob Golding rob.golding at astutium.com
Wed Jul 13 02:54:28 UTC 2016

> Before I open these, could you say something about what might be in
> them, so that I can at least be reasonably certain you're not a bot
> infecting me?

The GAC doc essentially says that WHOIS does the job they want it to,
but they would like more validation and verification

The LEA doc is one of their "wants lists" relating to the 2013 RAA -
much of it it unnecessary and even unreasonable IMHO. Some of it went
into the RAA despite strong objections. Some of it was rejected during
RAA negotiations, but it appeared ICANN staff took it upon themselves to
add it to the RAA "between drafts" anyway.

TL:DR;

"Law Enforcement" want Registrars to be unpaid, unwilling,
contractually-obliged mass data collectors, becoming forced participants
in the continued extension of (probably illegal) global surveillance

Rob