[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] An important technical consideration about nature of the service (was Re: The overflowing list )

Stephanie Perrin stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca
Thu Jul 21 02:40:06 UTC 2016

Comments inline.

Stephanie

On 2016-07-20 13:49, Mark Svancarek wrote:

> Comments inline

/*SP:  As Lisa has clarified in her response to you, pointing to the EWG
report, the technical end is not really the hard part, it is the
criteria for accreditation, and the entity that has the authority to
accredit, which is a problem as yet unsolved. */

> 2)  Nation states do not sign MLATS with all countries.  Why would
> ICANN engineer a system that overrides national sovereignty and
> permits actors in untrusted jurisdictions to request data they could
> not get through another country's justice department?
>
> */[Mark Svancarek] I don’t recall anyone actually advocating for this,
> and I am not aware of any proposals which imply such a situation,
> either.  Can you clarify?/*

/*SP:  LEAs have repeatedly said that the MLAT system is broken, does
not help with cybercrime, takes too long (6-8 months I have heard).  We
have many LEA reps on this committee, perhaps they would be kind enough
to come forward and say this so I don't have to dredge up voice
recordings of panels that I have been on.  I can review the GAC
Communiques and see if there was ever a straightforward statement that
MLATS do not work in most cases, and why.  I doubt it because of the
nature of GAC communiques in general, but will look.  However, the GAC
requests for open access to data, while retaining confidentiality,
support my rather blunt contention above.  Part of the reason MLATs dont
work is that rogue actors operate in multiple jurisdictions, operate
globally, and are likely to be resident in jurisdictions where there are
no MLATs that would facilitate their prosecution.  Now, getting the data
via other channels (ie through a potential new RDS with richer data,
operated by ICANN, rather than by attempting to serve an order for
production of information on a registrar in the said country) is not the
equivalent of securing cooperation in investigating and prosecuting a
suspect, but it is a way of reaching into other jurisdictions without
complex legal agreements, is it not?  Let me be clear here, I realize
that only the registrar will have the most useful data that is required
to be retained under the RAA (billing info, credit card info, metadata
concerning all domain registration transactions) at least under the
models the EWG contemplated.  I would presume (hope) that some kind of
court order would still be required to get that data, but of course
jurisdictions vary significantly in the rigour that they apply here.
Getting that court order is difficult without an MLAT, correct?
With respect to the request from law enforcement (good recent example
being the Public Safety committee comments on the Privacy Proxy issue)
that investigations and any requests for data related to those
investigations be kept confidential, this is of course natural and to
the extent permitted by law (DP law, criminal procedure, constitutional
protections etc) must be respected.  This will make auditing more
complex.  This in turn makes accreditation much more critical, if LEAS
have to have disappearing or invisible access.
For a good discussion on how difficult managing secret access request is
in practice, and how problematic for a justice system in democracies,
see this recent article in the Harvard Law Review by a Texas judge
http://harvardlpr.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Gagged-Sealed-and-Delivered.pdf.
I cite this even though it relates to ECPA proceedings, because he has a
proposal for a simple disclosure process that could be useful to unseal
the records in our situation without necessarily jeopardizing any
ongoing investigations or future work.  Rod Rasmussen has pointed out
how stupid and careless some of the bad actors are, but there is no
reason to provide a road map for them, and the judge has come up with a
form that merits investigation.  [note this does not solve the audit log
problem]
*/

> *//*
>
> 3) Limiting the scope of data search. Given the nature of cybercrime
> and intellectual property abuse/crime, is it not the case that
> requests will be very expansive in scope?  If I understand Scott's
> intervention, he is working on a standard that will actually limit
> data elements to those relevant.  The problem is, how does one
> determine what is relevant?  As mentioned in this thread, some things
> lend themselves to technical intervention better than others.  I have
> spoken to a former federal court judge in our own jurisdiction who
> admitted it was impossible to tell from the applications for Court
> orders what was actually being requested, and one of our Federal Court
> judges was actually recently taking our Solicitor General to court for
> not telling the truth in its applications.  Bottom line, it is hard to
> limit scope in human space, let alone on a system.  Furthermore, the
> examples I mention here are from Canada, where despite the protests of
> those of us in civil society, the degree of abuse of surveillance is
> somewhat limited.  We have to build a system that is resilient in all
> possible cases where abuse might be expected (Please do not tell me I
> am catastrophizing here, we are talking about fundamental human rights
> and due process, it is important to be cautious.)  I would love it if
> we could figure out how to do this automatically as a request comes
> in, and there is work on AI in the legal sphere that might be
> useful....but it is years away from actually working according to the
> most recent
>
> material on robotics that I have seen.
>
> */[Mark Svancarek] I have some ideas how we can implement the
> authorization specific to each level of access (as do Volker and
> others, of course), which can be defined as granularly as desired
> based on the policy decisions we make.  As Stephanie notes, we should
> be very clear what is viewable based on each granular level of access
> so that a judge can make an informed decision based on which data
> should be turned as a result of a court order./*

/*The case I cite above indicates that at least one judge has
reservations about the ability of the judicial system to evaluate the
validity of ECPA requests, and the utter failure of the appellate and
Supreme Courts to perform their usual role in the case of ECPA.  Is it
the same in the case of data released by registrars?  I honestly dont
know, do we have data on the number of warrants served on registrars,
and the number of cases appealed?  How is this system working at the
moment?  do we have documents we can refer to?  I could have missed some
in our haystack. */

> *//*
>
> 4)  Jurisdiction.  There are important recent cases on jurisdiction,
> some of which found their way on to our massive document list.  The
> EWG gave only a cursory glance at jurisdiction, in my view, and it is
> a very hard problem.  We discussed location of the RDS in basic terms
> (eg. does the jurisdiction have privacy law).  Human rights are
> safeguarded in our respective constitutions, criminal procedure, and
> Charters of rights.  Moving data outside of the individual's
> jurisdiction usually guts those rights.  Data localization is not the
> answer, assuring a universal high standard of protection of basic
> rights is the answer.  hard to do.
>
> */[Mark Svancarek] As we mention in the draft problem statement, we
> will be going forward in a pragmatic and practical way while
> acknowledging that this is in some ways new territory, legally
> speaking.  However, please note that [PR-D30-R05] & [UP-D30-R06]
> already attempt to capture this requirement.  We don’t need to debate
> the importance of the issue if it’s already captured in the proposed
> requirements (and if it’s not, the process should be to add it, rather
> than discuss in email)… does that make sense?/*

/*Makes sense, I have to look up your numbered items and will get back
to you on this.  [I guess I will have to print up a few pocket cheat
sheets to decipher our discussions:  doc list and code, requirements
code, and groupings code so far......]
thanks for your thoughtful response and apologies to those who do not
want to have this discussion at this time.  For those of us who find our
current workplan crazy-making, discussion of substance is necessary to
maintain a semblance of sanity.
*/