[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Some reg'n data I think necessary (was Re: GNSO Next-Gen RDS PDP Working Group teleconference)

Volker Greimann vgreimann at key-systems.net
Tue Mar 22 16:19:12 UTC 2016

Hi Andrew,

I do not follow how this is a bad analogy, since a domain name is itself
only the translation of an (changing) IP address, i.e. at any given time
an identifier of a a place in the network where the content you are
looking for is located. The user experience of typing in a domain name
into a browser is not that different from entering a number into your
telephone. While the underlying processes leading to you accessing the
point you want to access may be different the user experience is not
that different.

Sure, the IP address the domain name leads to may change regularly, but
since the invention of VOIP technology, this also applies to the device
a telephone number leads to. By dialing a number you will not know (or
care) where in the world the recipient has connected his IP-phone or
Skype device to the net or his mobile phone to the provider, for that
matter, as long as you reach the device at the other end.

If you say that telephone numbers do not offer services, but servers do,
you are overlooking value added telephone services

Yet one currently requires the publication of private details for all to
see and the other does not.

I do agree that collection is different from publication, but at least
in Europe data collection needs to have a specific business purpose, or
a valid agreement to the collection. Also bear in mind that collection
also implies storage. There is a very valid legal reason why for example
telcos cannot indefinitely store which of their customers used which IP
at what time without a legal justification/requirement.

Best,

Volker

> This is a terrible analogy.
>
> The first analogy is weak because phone numbers in their original
> design accessed a point on the network, and were the primary
> identifier of that point.  That is to say, a phone number identified a
> node in the network.  (This is why your phone number used to change
> when you moved.)  To reach the party you wanted, you had to have a
> theory of where they were, and then dial that location; if you were
> lucky, they were there, and you would reach them.  Later, number
> portability was invented, to bind the number to a subscriber rather
> than a location.  But we still dial numbers not to reach the phone at
> that location, but instead to reach a party at the other end.  (This
> is why so many of us no longer know people's phone numbers: the number
> is hidden behind the name directories we carry around in our mobile
> phones.  It used to be that we had such a directory published on paper
> -- the white pages -- but that has fallen into some disuse as
> technology has gotten better.  It's not for nothing the whois went by
> several early names, including "white pages".)
>
> The second analogy is terrible because when you get an IP assigned on
> connection your IP is _on purpose_ not stable.  That's because we
> invented the DNS to solve that very problem.  It has been many years
> since one could rely on a particular service being provided at a
> particular IP, and the design of the Internet was such that it was
> almost bound to be decoupled.  Moreover, most people do not offer
> services at the IP they receive when they connect; but servers do.  At
> least since the invention of URIs, the host name portion has betokened
> merely a network-topological named service location rather than a
> particular node in the network.  There is not a 1:1 binding between
> names and IPs, and hasn't been since the DNS was created.
>
>> , yet in those cases the data is not published anywhere
> People keep collapsing the discussion of whether data is collected and
> whether it is published.  We're never going to make any progress if we
> don't attend to that fundamental difference.
>
> Best regards,

Bei weiteren Fragen stehen wir Ihnen gerne zur Verfügung.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Volker A. Greimann
- Rechtsabteilung -

Key-Systems GmbH
Im Oberen Werk 1
66386 St. Ingbert
Tel.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 901
Fax.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 851
Email: vgreimann at key-systems.net

Web: www.key-systems.net / www.RRPproxy.net
www.domaindiscount24.com / www.BrandShelter.com

Folgen Sie uns bei Twitter oder werden Sie unser Fan bei Facebook:
www.facebook.com/KeySystems
www.twitter.com/key_systems

Geschäftsführer: Alexander Siffrin
Handelsregister Nr.: HR B 18835 - Saarbruecken
Umsatzsteuer ID.: DE211006534

Member of the KEYDRIVE GROUP
www.keydrive.lu

Der Inhalt dieser Nachricht ist vertraulich und nur für den angegebenen Empfänger bestimmt. Jede Form der Kenntnisgabe, Veröffentlichung oder Weitergabe an Dritte durch den Empfänger ist unzulässig. Sollte diese Nachricht nicht für Sie bestimmt sein, so bitten wir Sie, sich mit uns per E-Mail oder telefonisch in Verbindung zu setzen.

Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Volker A. Greimann
- legal department -

Key-Systems GmbH
Im Oberen Werk 1
66386 St. Ingbert
Tel.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 901
Fax.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 851
Email: vgreimann at key-systems.net

Web: www.key-systems.net / www.RRPproxy.net
www.domaindiscount24.com / www.BrandShelter.com

Follow us on Twitter or join our fan community on Facebook and stay updated:
www.facebook.com/KeySystems
www.twitter.com/key_systems

CEO: Alexander Siffrin
Registration No.: HR B 18835 - Saarbruecken
V.A.T. ID.: DE211006534

Member of the KEYDRIVE GROUP
www.keydrive.lu

This e-mail and its attachments is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. Furthermore it is not permitted to publish any content of this email. You must not use, disclose, copy, print or rely on this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, kindly notify the author by replying to this e-mail or contacting us by telephone.