[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Back to basics

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Sun May 15 22:45:52 UTC 2016

As I understand what Michael has written this more than likely
designates ICANN as a data controller and exposes it to much more policy
conflict (and regulation) with entities like the European Community and
various national governments. If the national/regional policies
prohibit, or insist on, certain data collection, storage and display
practices, ICANN can dialogue with those entities to try to reach
mutually satisfactory policies and practices, but when there is still a
division of opinion, ICANN has no clout and no teeth, and registries and
registrars caught in the middle will have no choice but to obey national
or regional policies.

Sam L.

/On 5/12/2016 12:04 PM, Michael D. Palage wrote://
/
> /Klaus, Unfortunately, if a Registry wants to collect addition data and
> display it. It needs ICANN permission since Specification 4 states
> what can be displayed and in what format. So when .NYC, .CAPETOWN,
> .JOBURG and .DURBAN wanted to add their additional fields for business
> purposes. They first needed to submit an RSEP and then get permission
> from ICANN to modify their Registry Agreement. The way the Registry
> Agreement has been written and how ICANN has interpreted "registry
> services" it gives ICANN incredible latitude to act as a regulator
> instead of a mere technical coordinating body. Best regards, Michael /

"It is a disgrace to be rich and honoured
in an unjust state" -Confucius
  邦有道,贫且贱焉,耻也。邦无道,富且贵焉,耻也
Dr Sam Lanfranco (Prof Emeritus & Senior Scholar)
Econ, York U., Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - M3J 1P3
email: Lanfran at Yorku.ca   Skype: slanfranco
blog:  http://samlanfranco.blogspot.com
Phone: +1 613-476-0429 cell: +1 416-816-2852