[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] For your review - updated RDS Statement of Purpose

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Tue Oct 4 15:31:13 UTC 2016

Hi,

This is not really a fatal objection, and I can accept the inclusion
since people seem to think it important (and because ultimately it's
our charter that limits our freedom of action), but I continue to
wonder why we keep including "collect" in the description of the RDS
("RDS, i.e., the system that may collect, maintain, and provide or
deny access to some or all of those data elements [and services
related to them, if any]").

The RDS _does not_ collect the data.  That is the responsibility of
the SRSes underlying registrations.  I recall spending some time
making diagrams illustrating this some months ago (it was before I
moved back to Toronto, so it was before the end of June, but I don't
recall when exactly).  The RDS provides _access_ to that registration data.

The RDS policies might have implications for registration policies
(i.e. what data must be collected), but I cannot see how expanding our
scope to talk about what registration _may_ collect is helpful.  And
we keep tripping over this because people point to consensus policies
sometimes that are in fact about registration and not publication of
the data.

I therefore think that item 2 under "specific purpose" is actually
false: that's the purpose of the SRS, and _not_ the RDS.  The RDS is
for lookup, and we should concentrate on that.

Nit under "Goals": item iv is poor parallel construction.  It could be
fixed with "To help articilate [clearly, if you want] …"