[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] For your review - updated RDS Statement of Purpose

Rob Golding rob.golding at astutium.com
Wed Oct 5 02:41:39 UTC 2016

Purpose 1:

This is more a statement of what Registration Data is, so probably
shouldn't be a "numbered purpose", and perhaps should only be included,
if we also include definitions of Registry, Registrar, Nameserver etc ?
Or simplified to:

THE purpose of "gTLD Registration Data" is to record information
necessary for the lifecycle of a domain name (as specified by ICANN's
Diagram of gTLD Lifecycle).

Purpose 2:

I see Andrew has picked up on defining the "collect" concept - Volker
may be correct in function but RDS doesn't "collect" in the normal use
of the word, it may "collate" though.

Perhaps this should be simplified to:

THE purpose of the "Registration Data Service" (hereafter referred to as
"RDS") is to manage authorised parties' access to information about
[gTLD Domain Names, gTLD Nameservers, gTLD Registries and gTLD
Registrars]

Purpose 3(a/b) are possible use cases, not Purposes as such

"Accurate" is definitely not a term to use if we ever expect to finish
  - "Current" would be more accurate (sic) / appropriate.

Rob