[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] The treatment of data

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Fri Oct 7 20:24:39 UTC 2016

As we struggle with what we want to mean about the adequate properties
of data in this RDS work I would like to note, in passing, an article in
another field, the connected car, that spends a considerable amount of
time dealing with data issues. For what it is worth The following paper,
dealing with open and closed software in automobiles, is an excellent
read with regard to not only cars, but also a lot of privacy, security,
proprietary, and regulatory issues with regard to data, some of which
may yield useful insights or ideas with regard to domain name
registration data issues.

One may be with regard to data portability. Quote: As of May 2018,
companies will be expressly required under the EU General Data
Protection Regulation to consider data protection by design and by
default, implement appropriate technical and organizational measures and
enable data portability. [Council Directive 2016/670, 2016 O.J. (L 119)
(EU)]

“Open Cars”, Lothar Determann determan at uchastings.edu
<mailto:determan at uchastings.edu> and Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
<mailto:bruce at perens.com> Legal Studies Research Paper Series, Research
Paper No 213, University of California Hastings College of Law./   Draft
2016-7-4, last updated 9-20, 11 AM/