[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Suggestion re. RDS Accuracy Discussion

Shane Kerr shane at time-travellers.org
Tue Oct 11 14:12:38 UTC 2016

Stephanie,

I think this is a bit tangential to the idea, but since I raised the
suggestion I'll address it.

Before I do, just to be clear my proposal is to make transparent
whatever means are available for a user of RDS to know how much to
trust they may want to put in the data. If the registrar requires
updates to be done with 2-factor authentication that uses a mobile
phone, then that would be awesome to know, for example. :)

----

As for the malfeasant actors... I guess a "malfeasant actor" is someone
trying to do something bad, not a thespian trying to get into the role
of a bird.

In that case, think of it like this. There are two types of inaccurate
data:

1. Data that was never accurate.
2. Data that became inaccurate over time.

In the case of data that was never accurate, we have two types:

1.a. Data that was intentionally incorrect.
1.b. Data that was accidentally incorrect.

Seeing a recent update can insure that the case #2 is less likely.

Intuitively I think a recent update will tend to mean that case #1.b is
also less likely, since whatever is responsible for keeping it up to
date at least cares enough to update it. (This may not be true, we
would need data to confirm or reject this hypothesis.)

Which leads us with data that is intentionally added. I don't think
this is likely to become *more* inaccurate over time, so a recent
update probably doesn't mean anything one way or the other.

Now, the thing that might change this is that if data recently updated
was given more trust because of the recent update, then yet bad guys
will update their data more frequently. Still, this it true of any
measure of trust. If you use a real postal address as a sign of trust,
then people will use a real postal address belonging to someone else.
The same with phone numbers, e-mail addresses and so on.

----

No matter what bad guys do, if a record hasn't been changed since 1991
it is probably out of date. :)

Cheers,

--
Shane