[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] RDS Statement of Purpose

Volker Greimann vgreimann at key-systems.net
Fri Sep 9 12:34:59 UTC 2016

Hi James,

thanks for your questions. I think ICANN wanted to demonstrate a basic
standard  sample life cycle of a domain, hence the reference to a
typical domain. There may be differences from TLD to TLD and also
between domains depending on what the circumstances of their
registration are. Heck, life cycles may be different even between
registrars depending on the contractual framework between registrar and
registrant.

As for non-registered reserved names, I do not consider those as domains
in the standard domain life cycle, but rather as "unborn" domains.
Registered reserved names are again different. Some of those will be
registered through a registrar normally (see Uniregistry premium model)
and therefore will follow the standard life cycle closely, while others
will be registered by the registry under the "100 names model" and
exhibit a unique life cycle as no registrar is involved.

Best,

Volker