[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] international law enforcement association resolution regarding domain registration data

Hollenbeck, Scott shollenbeck at verisign.com
Mon Apr 24 14:45:18 UTC 2017

[SAH] It may help to read through the original note from Theo to better understand his original question. Here's a link to the message:

http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-rds-pdp-wg/2017-March/002444.html

As I understand it, Theo asked if an RDS could use a form of identification that can't be faked. I suggested that we already have such identifiers in place today that are generated and assigned to RDS contacts. They're not very prominent, but they do exist and as I see it there's no need to invent something else if they can be used to meet a need for a unique, anonymous form of contact identification.

> Also, although WHOIS information itself is not always helpful, WHOIS
> combined with other data (including DNS and historical data) can be
> extremely helpful.  So, I am not at all certain as to what is intended by
> the message or what the solution proposed is or how it works.

[SAH] Theo's note provides more context.

Scott