[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] With updated attendance, Recordings & AC Chat from Next-Gen RDS PDP WG call on Wednesday, 16 August 2017 at 05:00 UTC

Nathalie Peregrine nathalie.peregrine at icann.org
Wed Aug 16 14:51:10 UTC 2017

Please find updated attendance attached.

From: <gnso-rds-pdp-wg-bounces at icann.org> on behalf of Nathalie Peregrine <nathalie.peregrine at icann.org>
Date: Wednesday, August 16, 2017 at 12:24 PM
To: "gnso-rds-pdp-wg at icann.org" <gnso-rds-pdp-wg at icann.org>
Cc: "gnso-secs at icann.org" <gnso-secs at icann.org>
Subject: [gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Attendance, Recordings & AC Chat from Next-Gen RDS PDP WG call on Wednesday, 16 August 2017 at 05:00 UTC

Dear All,

Please find the attendance of the call attached to this email, and the Adobe Connect chat, mp3 & Adobe Connect recordings below for the Next-Gen RDS PDP Working group call held on Wednesday, 16 August 2017 at 05:00 UTC.

MP3:  http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-nextgen-rds-pdp-16aug17-en.mp3<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__mailer.samanage.com_wf_click-3Fupn-3DNrFWbrBstcrPWP369qgbqlXiSKeL20xnUXzI03ZqpsvgRhF8anYZT-2D2Fu85DJG3jGxnXevxCESjTEd9lbFKL66g2VDQkQ-2D2BwEK-2D2FwIpRZ1YYphw-2D3D-5FQuA5zZR9ZZ7J1F2FeF-2D2FOsgm1hgIDcBrAX2P7Ezxmql7ckJc4ios1-2D2BxObAoz2rzLSI3c4QB1NGo7bw7XrBjpRCbz74w4vzk48UxZMFoBBQBQaQ0ePdiOjdJ30sQNHkokOf-2D2F2p-2D2FBvMgKvMhzp-2D2B4u8fP-2D2BRrSytHe2KCf2HpQmtSbpezMgNTUG57PiORAPesOotpHA-2D2BC4pSmXJRsVmpbNaLqzlT-2D2FzbW-2D2FiGaK-2D2BcKkk2mRUSrFAuY0prwZJW56mU7i6to7dmkCuKqPFrMEjN2RlxhPVFSb7-2D2FgXTUOhMcIQpetmLHwG78ddyOAC4qUUYbaGGNjaSrQAm5nEvDUmtUEPoTWR3sqPIMJCXa-2D2FRdBJ1FaL15NokOFxwGtGxO5FOoowwCPpre0ovNXo76QO45FmYzn3Ha6f4fK5MubJ3pQfURKq1KrSblLIh5fMvjgWAiqjD6CyzRc5EYtjFcwtbmw2JOVRQDYmHIbMHnwviMAVTYLVW5r662HdAOpi4o2dV9YItoZiH&d=DwMFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=PDd_FX3f4MVgkEIi9GHvVoUhbecsvLhgsyXrxgtbL10DTBs0i1jYiBM_uTSDzgqG&m=6WT2x9e2Co9YxtQUgSpdHGyZegn1a6Z3SguEw_9JQhI&s=D-xRODcMNU97dAALM-m73xchqElCQan7QITDc6kOsaQ&e=>

AC recording:  https://participate.icann.org/p51uddrkv3b/<https://participate.icann.org/p51uddrkv3b/?OWASP_CSRFTOKEN=896f95e112d5b2ad970b1707c78a92e32c31a519668cb24ab5f98f198fe83a56>

The recordings and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page: http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__gnso.icann.org_en_group-2Dactivities_calendar-23nov&d=DwMF-g&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=PDd_FX3f4MVgkEIi9GHvVoUhbecsvLhgsyXrxgtbL10DTBs0i1jYiBM_uTSDzgqG&m=GJMkY4Fbi9sry9Z53DaSWJm-mHxMfFxg7MEVDf2JU90&s=FI3QJYH6DWWCDQir6NDMSjPkzdqfTTUmf9Ua-AYpc14&e=>

Wiki agenda page:   https://community.icann.org/x/SWfwAw

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Nathalie

———————————————

AC Chat Next-Gen RDS PDP WG Wednesday 16 August 2017

   Nathalie Peregrine:Dear all, welcome to the GNSO Next-Gen RDS PDP Working Group call on Wednesday 16 August 2017 at 05:00 UTC

  Michele Neylon:it's not quite daylight here yet :) https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.instagram.com_p_BX15NlIhlbC_-3Ftaken-2Dby-3Dmneylon&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=PDd_FX3f4MVgkEIi9GHvVoUhbecsvLhgsyXrxgtbL10DTBs0i1jYiBM_uTSDzgqG&m=P9Rj9M7wIwIVzMkSLgxEjtCj8w-TsnE6Wjwj3PZBQ6c&s=2kycCWkBk96kK2FmR0fHRSjsPYEojoqqwBU05_C_tis&e=

  Tapani Tarvainen:This is more convenient time for me than the usual one, although not radically so.

  Alex Deacon:Evening....

  Michele Neylon:The only upside to the call being this early is that I am wide awake by the time I get into the office :)

  Alex Deacon:10pm here in San Francisco - first day of school is tomorrow   (Summer is over!)

  Marika Konings:In order to provide resiliency to overcome communication failure, at least one alternative contact method (possibly multiple alternative contact methods) MUST be supported by the RDS as an optional field(s).

  Michele Neylon:they start back early

  Marika Konings:@Alex - my kids are starting school tomorrow as well here in Costa Rica. Now our vacation starts ;-)

  Stephanie Perrin:apologies for being a few minutes late

  Chuck Gomes:My grand kids have been in school for a week.

  Nathalie Peregrine:Welcome Stephanie

  Stephanie Perrin:Seems reasonable wording

  Marc Anderson:<--- I'm back in Adobe, at least for the moment

  Alex Deacon:ok.  thanks.

  Nathalie Peregrine:Maxim Alzoba has joined the call

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):Hello All, sorry for being late

  Nathalie Peregrine:Susan Kawaguchi has joined the call

  Susan Kawaguchi:Sorry for being late lost track of time

  Marika Konings:This is the presentation that Rod provided for the previous meeting

  Nathalie Peregrine:Kal Feher has joined the call

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):in cases of phisical persons & small companies - all of these are going to be duplicates

  Stephanie Perrin:I agree, these are really only useful for large organizations

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):also in most companies Legal depts do not speak with outsiders and only consult staff members

  Alex Deacon:@maxim - i don't see a problem (as marc just said) these are roles and not seperate contacts.

  Kal Feher:if these are simply roles, then they needn't be separated into contacts

  Marc Anderson:appoligies, I seem to be having technical difficulties this morning.

  Kal Feher:perhaps these are attributes of a contact

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):is it possible to make roles tag like ?

  Michele Neylon:A "role" is a type not a "contact"

  Kal Feher:@Michele the document describes them as contacts.

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):and with few contacts  - it will look like contact 1: adm, legal, business : contact2:tech

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):and in large companies, most probably , they are going to be contacts of departments (people tend to go on leave, have x-mass e.t.x.)

  Kal Feher:@michele I understand the functioning and have built such servicers in the past. don't want to take us down the rabbit hole. probably an implementation discussion anyway

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):I am not sure Business contact needs for work of DNS

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):the same for P&P

  Stephanie Perrin: When we say either role or contact, the item is going to be a method of contact, correct?

  Kal Feher:In principle I wouldnt collect information for anything that doesnt exist. we force people to create placeholders or to overload their contacts

  Stephanie Perrin:I do agree with Kal.  To a naive consumer (like me), all these differentiations are confusing.

  Michele Neylon:Kal - for personal registrations sure, but having the option for domainers + corporates is important

  Kal Feher:option is fine. I'd only object to mandatory roles/contacts

  Michele Neylon:Kal - exactly

  Sam Lanfranco:Since these are "roles" the individual could (if manditory) put same information in all roles, or (if optional) leave some roles blank.

  Stephanie Perrin:the roles may well all apply, but the person responding will be the same.  Even if I choose to blow some of the 100 email addresses I am not using, all roads lead to Rome (i.e. me)

  Tapani Tarvainen:If we drop the requirement for multiple contacts, could it result in registrars not even offering them or making it difficult to have them? I've found them useful in sometimes temporarily sharing DNS administration of my own domains.

  Sam Lanfranco:@Tapani, The fields could be manditory (to be there) but optional to fill

  Tapani Tarvainen:Sam: yes, that would work. Not that I see a big difference between that and allowing same data in all.

  Stephanie Perrin:It was the legal contact that I objected to the most on the EWG

  Susan Kawaguchi:I doubt a large corporate would enter their lawyers details but may  insert the corporations most common legal internal role contact details

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):medium companies - most probably will enter operational management into legal

  Tapani Tarvainen:Steph: yes I can see Legal being a scary one for individual or small org registrants

  Tapani Tarvainen:and I'd want to leave Business blank when I'm not doing any business with some domain

  Sam Lanfranco:We are calling these "roles" but alternatively they can be seen as "nature of query" identifiers so "Legal" need not point to a lawyer.

  Stephanie Perrin:The real question is how we authenticate the users of these contact points.

  Stephanie Perrin:In other words, if I am getting spam on all channels, does this really help?

  Stephanie Perrin:It is the accreditation part that is the really hard part

  Alex Deacon:Accreditation and authentication for contact info?

  Stephanie Perrin:Not suggesting we do it now, just pointing out that the only reason to segregate contact points as far as I can see is also to differentiate the requestors.

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):on slide 6, middle picture , most probably going to be p&p too (no reason of hiding every contact and leaving tech one open )

  Kal Feher:I think display requirements can wait

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):at least for physical persons

  Stephanie Perrin:We are not there.  But this data is not necessarily published, either.  We are talking about collecting only.  SO the quetsion will arise, who gets access to what contact points.

  Marika Konings:What I had noted in the chat is: Tentative WG agreement could be that PBC types identified (Admin, Legal, Technical, Abuse, Proxy/Privacy, Business) must be provided for by RDS but optional for registrants to fill out.

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):common idea of personal protection legislation in different jurisdictions - is about collection of only what you need, and collecting of unneeded info is not in line with that

  Kal Feher:the main issue with display requirements today are the limitations with whois formats. replacement protocols such as RDAP's json response will not fail if a field does not exist

  Stephanie Perrin:INdeed.

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):if roles are made tag-like - so it is just about few contacts per record + tags of them

  Stephanie Perrin:I like Marika's wording.

  Marika Konings:I've updated the possible WG agreement as you suggested in the notes

  Tapani Tarvainen:+1 Marika

  Marika Konings:I've changed it to 'supported by'

  Sam Lanfranco:Marika's wording captures much of the sense of what we seem to be generally agreeing on.

  Tapani Tarvainen:After rethinking I prefer allowing blank entries over having same information repeated

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):if we set minimum amount - it is going to be used for registrations ... there is no incentive to add more info than that

  Tapani Tarvainen:Maxim: there may be, sometimes registrants may benefit from having extra info there

  Kal Feher:can we conclude then that alternate time WG meetings are more productive and therefore should always be at this time?

  Benny Samuelsen / Nordreg AB:@Tapani... Registrants are lazy and do not fill in more than absolutely needed

  Tapani Tarvainen:@Benny I think you're generalizing too much. But in general they *should* not fill more than are really needed.

  Stephanie Perrin:I totally agree that differentiation is important.  There is a big difference between a data service and a directory service.

  Kal Feher:so long as we make it clear in our discussions that we are talking about "publication" regardless of gated'ness or collection/storage of data

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):given the overall number of people now .. number of AP members is relatively high

  Michele Neylon:I hate mornings

  Kal Feher:agree with Michele, we should always have it at this time

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):good morning all

  Sam Lanfranco:Bye to all....

  David Cake 2:Thanks Chuck.

  Benny Samuelsen / Nordreg AB:bye

  Michele Neylon:now to cook breakfast and hoover the sitting room