[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Contractibility, PBC and required contact methods....

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Fri Aug 25 12:38:24 UTC 2017

I would like to expand on Volker’s comment: “many other real-world
examples where legal service or process may become necessary do not have
a whois-like database in place for easy reference..”

When a legal service or process needs access it is important to
distinguish between effective access and direct, or immediate, access.

A minimal amount of due diligence to obtain necessary contact
information (postal address, fax number, e-mail that returns a
confirmation of a service “ticket”, etc.) is the normal process in most
situations, and not just “corner cases”. For example, in terms of where
we are going with this WG work, a drop down menu for “Legal” with a
required contact to request the formal legal service or process contact
information would effectively meet both needs and legal requirements in
virtually all situations and jurisdictions. This would also keep it
simple for all concerned.

Sam L.